The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Strangeish Question

Dave17

Hiya Chaps,

Slightly odd question, but one i think i probably need to ask. Having only ever owned and driven my own stock TT, i'm a bit concerned that the 2nd turbo isn't coming online at all? lol

I've read all of the 2nd turbo posts on here, and it seems to be common for the IACV to pack up. Obviously having never driven anyone elses car i'm not sure if it's just such a smooth transition from turbo 1 to turbo 2 that i don't notice, or if i'm just running on 1.

I've never considered the car to be sluggish or slow at all going +4000 rpm's so i really have no idea if it's fine or not lol. Retard...:p

Soooooo...my question, since i don't really want to hand it over to Mr T and get shagged up the bottom, are there any Surrey technical genius' that wouldn't mind coming out in it with me and giving me their opinion on if all is well?

If you're not deeling a definite 'shove' at 4-5000 revs then you're second turbo is definitely not coming online. There's tests you can perform on your VSVs etc to check they're working correctly - might be worth a try before going to a garage. The other possibility is that a hose has perished or slipped off.

She's completely bone stock :) unfortunately the easy route of shoving a boost gauge in isn't an option financially at the moment, all the bills just came in!

The reports seem to conflict lol, some say it's ultra smooth transition some say you get the kick! Well I just called

Mr T since I'm quite friendly with the owner of my local, he recommended not taking it to him because it's going to be mega money for diagnosis/repair if necessary...

So if nobody is around I might take a trip to AFR next week :)

Mine is pretty smooth and I wouldn't describe it as a 'kick' but it's definitely a noticeable increase in pull. If you concentrate hard on yours when you drive it and you don't feel any change in acceleration rate at all then I'd say it might not be working properly.

Boost gauge is probably your best bet to find out for sure though.

It depends how it's driven... When mine was stock, and if I accelerated smoothly, then the transition between the first turbo and both being active was hardly noticeable. If it was more thrashed then yes, there was a bit of a kick (and I don't just mean the gearbox kicking down). I guess it's somewhat subjective.

Where in Surrey are you?

Difficult one, as its all down to how different people perceive the way the turbos behave,

When i first got mine, i thought the turbo spool up/delivery and subsequent transition was hardly noticeable, and even when i went BPU i found it very disappointing, so i went TTC, and you will notice that!

But i have owned a few turbo cars before.