The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front crank shaft oil seal

Bossco

It appears mine has gone today and left an olympic size swiming pool of oil on the drive way :( 1st day of BPU to so I'm even more gutted.

I've read everything the search brings up but I'm still confused as to what actually needs to be done to fix it.

Can you get away with just replacing the seal or does the oil pump have to be replaced with it, and is there a way to tell if the pump is broken or if it it still fit for use?

Does anyone know the cost of a new oil pump and what sort of prices have people been paying to have the seal replaced?

Thanks.

Your problem may have something to do with crank ventilation issues. Talk to Paul Whiffen about it. He had similar problems but sorted a remedy for it. If the pump was faulty you have little or no pressure I'd imagine. Was the pump upgraded in the re-build? Stock oil pump is the best if you do feel like replacing it.

Im not 100% on this but I don't think a stock oil pump, even a faulty one results in that kinda problem so a new pump and oil seal may not be the end of your worries. But don't take my word for it mate, ya need someone with far more knowledge on the subject than me to advise you.

You need to do a search for main seal posts, and you will find the definitive answers,

I did a lot of research on this subject, and believe me FMS problems are 98% due to oil pump wear, to displace the FMS by crankcase pressure, you would have to have very considerable piston/bore problems, as the available transfer aperture is only 5mm.

Thanks Ricky. I was reading some of your and Chris Wilson's posts regarding this subject yesterday. Fortunately for me it seems like you know what your talking about :)

No problem:) if you get a Toyota pump you can open out the drain hole very easily, will see if i can find the correct size for you, then the pump will be just the same as the PHR pump;)

You need to do a search for main seal posts, and you will find the definitive answers,

I did a lot of research on this subject, and believe me FMS problems are 98% due to oil pump wear, to displace the FMS by crankcase pressure, you would have to have very considerable piston/bore problems, as the available transfer aperture is only 5mm.

Sorry for jumping on the thread here, but I believe I'm having either the same issue here - FMS/crank oil seal or cam cover seals.

My car is going into the garage for a replacement of these bits in the next few days.

Tricky, I've read the thread http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=108524&highlight=crank+shaft+oil+seal

where you, CW and Digsy discussed seal issues and it seemed inconclusive as to whether it was a batch of new designed oil pumps or the lack of replacing the oil pump when the seal is replaced. Did any of you ever get to the bottom of this issue? I currently have all the seals on order to arrive Wednesday but I have not ordered an oil pump. Should I be? I am also changing getting my radiator changed at the same time, so whilst they're doing all this work I'd really like to know some opinions on whether to change it or not. £100 for a pump imho is a small price to pay for peace of mind. I just want to know if the rogue batches that various members were seeing were indeed rogue or due to redesign. Asking as the thread didn't really end with a conclusion (or did I miss a single post somewhere?).

For info I am running a GT35R on UK spec stock engine. The crank shaft pulley went a couple of months ago and was replaced back then (it separated but the belt stayed on). I don't believe it's had any issues with oil or seals by previous owners from all the paperwork I have.

Si

Sorry for jumping on the thread here, but I believe I'm having either the same issue here - FMS/crank oil seal or cam cover seals.

My car is going into the garage for a replacement of these bits in the next few days.

Tricky, I've read the thread http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=108524&highlight=crank+shaft+oil+seal

where you, CW and Digsy discussed seal issues and it seemed inconclusive as to whether it was a batch of new designed oil pumps or the lack of replacing the oil pump when the seal is replaced. Did any of you ever get to the bottom of this issue? I currently have all the seals on order to arrive Wednesday but I have not ordered an oil pump. Should I be? I am also changing getting my radiator changed at the same time, so whilst they're doing all this work I'd really like to know some opinions on whether to change it or not. £100 for a pump imho is a small price to pay for peace of mind. I just want to know if the rogue batches that various members were seeing were indeed rogue or due to redesign. Asking as the thread didn't really end with a conclusion (or did I miss a single post somewhere?).

For info I am running a GT35R on UK spec stock engine. The crank shaft pulley went a couple of months ago and was replaced back then (it separated but the belt stayed on). I don't believe it's had any issues with oil or seals by previous owners from all the paperwork I have.

Si

First off, if its the front main seal, it can manifest at first as just a small weep, IE some oil spots on the floor, and at this stage it can be easily confused with other leaks, like you say camshaft seal (although rare) cam cover leaks etc.

A good degrease and wash down, followed buy a quick run up the road and subsequent close examination should reveal the cause.

As the main seal gets worse, if you pull the cam belt cover the oil tends to get thrown around by the cam belt and should be obvious.

If you are unlucky like i was, you can lose most or all the engine oil in a very Short time, and it can kill the engine due to starvation, i was observant enough to notice the oil level light come on and stop in time.

If i remember rightly, the duff pump casting scare was a result of Greg of Turbo fit:innocent: having problems with a couple of pumps they fitted, and i think overtightened the pressure relief nut, and cracking the casing, so i would ignore that.

If it turns out your FMS is leaking, then change the pump and you will no doubt find that the old one has score marks etc, and as i said you can easily mod the pump drain to mimic the PHR one.

I'm not sure if it is front main seal but I'll try and do the clean and test like you say. Initially I spotted some drops of oil on the drieway and thought it was my oil drain hose leaking again. Took it to the garage to swap and put it up on the ramp and saw the block covered in oil. Too dirty to tell the source!

It is coming from the cam cover area primarily so I hope it's just that. I'm just over paranoid maybe (but I think that's a healthy thing). I'll leave it with the garage and ask them to ensure to check all seals. If it is FMS then oil pump will be ordered ASAP. I've had enough of oil leaks! My NA (which Jay vr6 has just Fitted a 1JZ into) never gave me any issues at all!

I'll try and get some pics anyway and do some high resolution shots of the oil pump if I do replace it and maybe then we could post mortem it. If only I was as good at cars as I am computers! :(

Thanks TR for the advice, you've helped me out twice this week now :) owe you a drink if we ever meet. Club spirit and good sound knowledge are alive and well

Si

No problem mate, thats what i like to think we are all here for:)

I hope its just your cam cover leaking, its quite common for the nuts to loosen off.

There is one thing about the TT under tray, it has a layer of sound proofing that acts as a sponge, so it stores any leakage, mine weighed a few pounds due to the amount of oil it had soaked up, so i just riped it out and reinstalled just the plastic;)

It appears mine has gone today and left an olympic size swiming pool of oil on the drive way :( 1st day of BPU to so I'm even more gutted.

I've read everything the search brings up but I'm still confused as to what actually needs to be done to fix it.

Can you get away with just replacing the seal or does the oil pump have to be replaced with it, and is there a way to tell if the pump is broken or if it it still fit for use?

Does anyone know the cost of a new oil pump and what sort of prices have people been paying to have the seal replaced?

Thanks.

Nightmare Ross, just when you thought it was going to be all sorted. Did you get the brakes sorted?

I drove it down the 1231 at 30 mph :)

It was on the way back from Toyota when it went wrong. As it happens the rear calipers started to stick too so I've bought 4 new ones. I'll fit new seals on them and stick them on the car when it gets it other bits replaced.

Fingers crossed it will be sorted by the end of the month.