The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can all brake calipers be refurbed?

Clinton

Hi,

My drivers side front j-spec caliper is sticking and im looking to try and refurb them using the very helpful guide that is available from here...

My question is will refurbing them definitely (or atleast stand a good chance) of solving the problem and stop it from sticking again? Or can sticking calipers not really be fixed this way?

Thanx

Once refurbed they should pretty much be like new and last for ages. I refurbed mine shortly after buying it and had no probs for at least four years.

Ahh well thats nice to know...just because i was thinking of buying a new set but if i can solve the problem that would be great!

Anyone else agree that they can be fixed or think that they can easily start sticking straight away?

Thanx

Anyone else agree that they can be fixed or think that they can easily start sticking straight away?

Yes I believe that they can sucessfully be fixed. I did mine (all four) a good few months ago.

Some of the pistons were fairly seized up and a little difficult to get out, but I did get them out, put new pistons in with a new set of seals and they now work brilliantly - plus, with a couple coats of caliper paint and some Supra stickers, they now look good too. :)

On mine all the corrosion was on the old pistons themselves, so I've no reason at all to believe that they shouldn't last for a good few years at least.

Yes did mine nearly 2 years ago, bought the kits, took them all off and was able to spend a few days doing them,turned out as good as new, check my garage for pic of brakes.

Bob.

Yea your brakes look lovely! Well where can you buy this so called kit then or new pistons as i was just planning on putting everything back on once refurbed but i suppose it makes sense to buy new pistons etc...depending on price?

Thanx

About £30 per caliper for the kit I think mate, includes new pistons and seals, either Steve Manley or your local Toyota should be able to supply them.

Thanx!

I suppose thats not too bad considering it will save you having to buy another set!

Although what is it exactly that goes wrong with the original pistons or seals that mean you cant (or shouldnt) put the old ones back in? Do the pistons rust, does the rubber seal change shape..? As i would like to save on the 60 pounds (obviously) but would rather not have to take the calipers off to realise i really did need the kit after all especially with the supra being my only car?

Cheers