The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hey guys

martini

just joined up - loved the supra since the original Gran Turismo - saving up for one now.

I want a manual black mkiv, with some kind of front end body kit and stock spoiler as it looks great.

It'll be a year until I can buy one, so in the mean time I will just browse and chat.

I have Forza 2 on the xbox if anyone ever fancies a race.

Wow!! Thanks for all the "welcomes" guys. What a friendly place!

:hi: you going for twins or single?

At first, I may even go for a supra that has no turbo at all. It has to be manual. Ideally black. Ideally stock spoiler. I'm 25 and it'll be my first car. It'll be about a year, but I'm saving hard!

Hey up. Where in Lancashire are you?

Manchester mate :)

I am looking into getting a supra relatively cheap, and then upgrade the parts over time. It's going to be a total pleasure - I don't need a car at all.

Does anyone have any advice regarding setting out? Should I go for a car that has the body kit that I like and upgrade the engine parts over time, or spend money on something with less milage and get the skirts and nose that I want at a later date (low stock spoiler).

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Going to be my first car. As I said, it'll be a while til I get it but I look at supras on autotrader, eBay and pistonheads every day! Argh!

Edited by martini (see edit history)

Cool, I'm in Chorley, but I play in a band in Didsbury. Used to work in Salford Quays up to last year.

If you're thinking about engine mods, then you'd probably be better starting with a TT as there is very little you can do to an N/A motor except swap it for a TT one, lol.

As for gearbox, you say it HAS to be a manual. Have a drive in an auto if you get the chance, they're possibly one of the best auto boxes around - a lot of people are surprised at how well they respond.

Styling is entirely up to you. If you see one for sale with a kit you like (or like most of), then it would be worth buying and saving yourself a bit of money and hassle in getting a new kit fitted as they don't always bolt straight on and can cause quite a headache.

End of the day, keep your eye on the for sale sections and hopefully something will come up that you'll be happy with.

Hi guys, thanks for the tips - very useful indeed. I have done a litle bit of research into it all before, but it all got a bit much. I'm into cars, but not that interested in a mechanical aspect - though that is bound to change when I get one.

Advice so far:

Save up for a twin turbo - not a problem. Saving is not exactly easy, but it's all I can do right now anyway :)

Try an automatic. It almost feels odd to type that! I love driving so much... I love changing gear when I want to in a manual gearbox. I haven't been in an automatic car in my entire life, let alone driven one. What happens if you need to drop down a gear to overtake? Does the gearbox feels you toe hard down on the accelerator and shift in time?

The gearbox has 3 forward gears (4 if you count the overdrive button). I use the shifter quite a lot as it helps control the revs and stops it from changing gear at inappropriate moments.

As said, there is a kickdown switch under the accellerator pedal, but you can also change down into 2nd if you want a quick boost of speed (or turning Overdrive off, dropping it back into 3rd if you're going too fast for 2nd).

Wow, thanks for all of the information guys! OK, I will not rule out a manual. It would be my only car and I would love a manual first and foremost I think, but as I won't be racing or the like, maybe an auto is ok. It just feels odd in my head - me driving an auto!!

This is a bit of a dumb questions - but perhaps you could pass some insight on it... how much, per year, does it costs you (roughly) to keep your supras on the road? Are there any components that fail regularly/parts to watch out for?

I always drive automatic in racing games on the xbox anyway, so I can't see much of a problem with an auto... just feels "lazy" in my head, though I know it's actually more convenient when driving...

This is a bit of a dumb questions - but perhaps you could pass some insight on it... how much, per year, does it costs you (roughly) to keep your supras on the road? Are there any components that fail regularly/parts to watch out for?

Personally, in the last year I have spent into 5 figures just running mine(an N/A) that's before I even tot up the mods I've put on it aswell.............but it's been worth every penny.

i have a manual and i do love it, i do know that autos are good but still its manual for me :D

I'll look into autos, but might end up saving that bit more and getting my dream supra.

Personally, in the last year I have spent into 5 figures just running mine(an N/A) that's before I even tot up the mods I've put on it aswell.............but it's been worth every penny.

OK, worth knowing. Thanks a lot. 5 figures is a lot, but if it's spaced out in time and doesn't hit you all at once I think it's doable for me.

Insurance is going to be massive :(

The car will be worth it :eyebrows:

Right then. TT it is. save save and save away until the perfect one comes up. I don't need one for getting from A to B, just for fun, so it makes sense that I get what I really want.

Insurance is going to be a killer, but that's life!

I kind of put looks in front of performance as I won't be racing it. Maybe that will change though!