The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Broken Supra :(

dani_r

I've just been speaking to CW about my Supra's clutch problem. When I go to change gear I push the pedal in and it feels light, then when I release after changing gear there is only a small bit of bite right at the floor then the rest of the way up there is loads of play in the pedal.

Sometimes it's ok, but most of the time there is lots of play in the pedal, only biting when it's right near the floor.

Chris said it could be my pressure plate collapsing (or something?). Has anyone ever had this or know any more?

Dan

my advise would be drop it down to South Coast and get then to visually examine it either via the inspection panels (Although I'm not sure if the 5 speed have them) or to just whip the whole gearbox off. Its easy enough to get a new release bearing or pressure plate from one of the traders here depending on what is failing

Ok, so I went out to check fluids etc and to try the clutch again, the fluid was all black and crappy, and when I tried to move the car the pedal stuck completely to the floor and had to be physically pulled up again!

I've done some searching and this looks like master/slave cylinder? Could the crappy fluid be responsible? Looks like I need some bits! Anyone have these available?? :D

I'm still getting a little bit of clutch, but it's right at the very bottom, and it's only once or twice then it goes completely, then I have to pull the pedal back up and then wait a moment, some pressure comes back then I can use the clutch and the cycle continues.

Unlucky about your release bolts, gear box out job then?

As I said on the phone, flush it out with fresh fluid, if the pedal's sticking down it could be the fluid's so manky that it's blocking the return hole on the M/C. You could get 2 seal kits and re seal both cylinders. Now you have described the condition of the fluid I am fairly sure it'll be a hydraulic problem ;)

As I said on the phone, flush it out with fresh fluid, if the pedal's sticking down it could be the fluid's so manky that it's blocking the return hole on the M/C. You could get 2 seal kits and re seal both cylinders. Now you have described the condition of the fluid I am fairly sure it'll be a hydraulic problem ;)

Thanks again Chris :) I'll have a look at that tomorrow, just need to nurse the Supra to the workshop!

Just another quick few questions:

Is it just standard Dot 3 or 4 brake/clutch fluid?

How much do you think i'll need for a complete flush?

Can I buy the seal kits from Toyota or someone on here?

Cheers :thumbs:

A fellow IoM Supra owner? Finally! Where is South Coast?
they're down next to the power station, about half way down to the civic amenity site.

Mine did that, turned out the bolts holding the release fork on sheared clean off

exact same thing that happened to mine, but also could be a seal gone in either the master or slave cylinder (had those changed before opening the inspection plate and nearly having the fork drop on my head) :(

OK, tried a fluid flush today and it did not go well :( Put new fluid in the top after using a syringe to get most of the old fluid out, opened the bleed nipple and did the push-stop-pull thing as mentioned many times. Not much fluid came through the bleed nipple and the clutch is still having the same problem where it pushes pretty much to the floor if you hold it there and doesn't come back up, it has to be physically pulled back up.

There are no visible leaks from either cylinder, also there doesn't appear to be a loss of fluid. I'm thinking maybe the seals in the master cylinder have gone?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

D