The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How low can ya go

Benyon

You should be OK, that's a sensible drop and the tyre sizes are correct. This assumes your wheel offsets are OK though.

I dont know for sure that they are, I asked the guy from where I bought the setup and he said it will be fine but Dizzy me forgot to mention I had alloys :(

"a sensible drop"? :blink:

To the OP: You know the handling will be rubbish, right? My current Supe was dropped ~20mm F&R when I got it and that was partly why it was quite danerous to drive. It's been raised since, thank god. It's only about 8~10mm lower than stock (F&R) now.

No I mean no mod's done, As of thursday my car will be 32mm lower on the front and 22mm on the back. My wheels are F-235-40-18 R-265-35-18.

You should be OK, that's a sensible drop and the tyre sizes are correct. This assumes your wheel offsets are OK though.

Tyre sizes are correct? I've got 255-35-18s on the rear of mine as they're the closest match to stock rolling radius. :)

So is it unlikely to rub you think then?

I can't help you on that one sorry - I'm on stock UK suspension with 18s, so my car looks like a 4x4 :D

The tyres you've got on the rear of your car have a larger than stock rolling radius, so I'd say two things will happen:

1. Your speedo will be out. You'll be going quicker than your speedo reads compared to if it was on stock tyres.

2. More likely to rub when lowered?

Tyre sizes are correct? I've got 255-35-18s on the rear of mine as they're the closest match to stock rolling radius. :)

It's closer yes but 265/35 is still fine (only 1% out), some people fit the wrong ratio (i.e. 40 instead of 35).

And yes a 22mm drop at the back is a sensible drop (the front sits higher as stock).

"a sensible drop"? :blink:

To the OP: You know the handling will be rubbish, right? My current Supe was dropped ~20mm F&R when I got it and that was partly why it was quite danerous to drive. It's been raised since, thank god. It's only about 8~10mm lower than stock (F&R) now.

Dangerous how? Was the geometry not adjusted to suit? Most suspension work drops the Supra by 20mm+. Mine's 25mm down at the front, 20mm at the back, but it seems pretty stable.

Dangerous how? Was the geometry not adjusted to suit? Most suspension work drops the Supra by 20mm+. Mine's 25mm down at the front, 20mm at the back, but it seems pretty stable.

Have a look here mate. :)

The lowering wasn't the whole story as to why mine was dangerous but it was part of why it could be very unpredictable: dropping it too much will allow the wishbones to invert under load (e.g. when going through a compression) and that throws your geometry settings out of the window. If you (& Jo if she's interested too) wanted to come up here for the talk next month you're more than welcome to stay over, I'm sure it will all be explained much more expertly than I could ever do. :)

Cheers Steve - will have a good read through.

I'd be very interested in your seminar, but it's a funny time at work so I just don't know yet...thanks for the offer though.

ok, no worries mate. If you decide you want to come along just let me know. :thumbs:

I read all the CentreGravity write ups and links, and I think I see what you're saying now Steve. I think it ties in with what the instructor at Silverstone said about my car, and how it was washing outwards round the fast corners. Understeer is a bitch round Copse! Even at BPU the car is too powerful for the setup, and I always rip the inner shoulder off the tyre before the outer shoulder goes anywhere.