The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What is meant by Top End and Bottom End on a 2JZ Engine?

toyotasupra1980

The bottom end of any engine consists of everything below the top end..............

Alright only teasing, the bottom end is also known as the short motor, this consists of pistons, rods, crankshaft, bearings, bushings and of course engine block and sump. When refering to the bottom end you're usually talking about anything between the crankshaft and the pistons, problems in this area are known as bottom end problems.

The cylinder head of an engine is bolted to the engine block, I've never heard it referred to as the top end but I assume from your question this is what you mean. The term "top end" usually refers to the upper portion of a cars rev range, an example of this would be if someone says "the car is making good power at the top end".

The cylinder head allows the engine to inhale air and fuel which is then ignited by the spark plug and then to exhale the exhaust gases. Its all controlled by the timing gear of the engine.

The bottom end of any engine consists of everything below the top end..............

Alright only teasing, the bottom end is also known as the short motor, this consists of pistons, rods, crankshaft, bearings, bushings and of course engine block and sump. When refering to the bottom end you're usually talking about anything between the crankshaft and the pistons, problems in this area are known as bottom end problems.

The cylinder head of an engine is bolted to the engine block, I've never heard it referred to as the top end but I assume from your question this is what you mean. The term "top end" usually refers to the upper portion of a cars rev range, an example of this would be if someone says "the car is making good power at the top end".

The cylinder head allows the engine to inhale air and fuel which is then ignited by the spark plug and then to exhale the exhaust gases. Its all controlled by the timing gear of the engine.

thanks for the information, i can relax even more now, cool.:)