The mkiv Supra Owners Club

12v mod with relay

mikeyb10supra

After my on-going nightmare fitting a UK pump and having 2 x fuel pump ecu's going tits up on me I am considering binning the ecu and running 12v straight to the pump as this seems to cure all the issues I am currently having running it through the ecu.

Would using the voltage from the main stock ECU to turn on or off a 12V relay work and stop the pump continuing to run in the event of an accident?? It should turn off when the ecu stops sending voltage.

Can anyone see any issues with this?

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikeyb10supra (see edit history)

After my on-going nightmare fitting a UK pump and having 2 x fuel pump ecu's going tits up on me I am considering binning the ecu and running 12v straight to the pump as this seems to cure all the issues I am currently having running it through the ecu.

Would using the voltage from the main stock ECU to turn on or off a 12V relay work and stop the pump continuing to run in the event of an accident?? It should turn off when the ecu stops sending voltage.

Can anyone see any issues with this?

Cheers

Mike

That's exactly what I have. As long as you use the stock ECU feed to switch the relay, then you'll be fine as that's how the stock system works anyway. :)

But.... When using an Aem which Tony has it provides a constant 12v down the FPC wire which normally makes the fuel pump ecu provide 12v to the pump when ever a Rpm is seen. In Tony cause he uses the 12v feed to switch the relay....

Now the stock ecu IIRC provides a pulsated variable voltage output to tell the fuel pump ecu which voltage it should supply to the pump. Im not sure how a relay is going to deal with the output from the stock ecu..

Only way to find out though is try :)

Yours will be fine as you can send a 12v or better a gnd signal output from the S6.

P.S have you paid for it yet :)

Excellent. :)

I'll be back in the office tomorrow so as long as you emailed me I'll get it tomorrow. Do you want to meet up somewhere local for me to get it from you once I've paid? I won't be fitting anything for at least a few weeks am I nursing a bad injury preventing me doing anything so I'll just keep it with everything else ready to go. :(

Now the stock ecu IIRC provides a pulsated variable voltage output to tell the fuel pump ecu which voltage it should supply to the pump. Im not sure how a relay is going to deal with the output from the stock ecu..

Only way to find out though is try :)

You need a relay with a low trigger voltage - if you use an auto relay that's got a 12v trigger voltage it may not work. When I did this ages ago with the stock ECU I found it would occasionally switch on and off as the ECU pulses the voltage as Ryan says. You'd hear it chattering. I added a capacitor to smooth the supply out and it worked fine.

Excellent. :)

I'll be back in the office tomorrow so as long as you emailed me I'll get it tomorrow. Do you want to meet up somewhere local for me to get it from you once I've paid? I won't be fitting anything for at least a few weeks am I nursing a bad injury preventing me doing anything so I'll just keep it with everything else ready to go. :(

Yh you can come get it from Autotec if you want and look at the car then also ;)

I think I might do Paul, how much do you want dude....I mean the pump is fine running at 12v in my opinion, its just the issue of it running off the ignition that un-nerves people

Oh I don't know - we can work something out - normally something vaguely Pinot Grigio like will suffice :)

• 8 months later...

Right quick update guys, I have just wired in the relay and am now running into the same problems that I had before where the car will turn over and sound very lumpy for a few second and then die and wont restart, similar to what I had with the stock fuel pump ecu. This all happened after I fitted a uk pump and the stock j-spec ECU was playing up. . Shortly after this I got another ECU of a breaker car and the same thing happend although I managed to get halfway down the road before the ECU did the same thing again and the car spluttered and stalled as I was driving along....not good

ps If I run the pump at 12v and it works perfectly so its not the pump install

So rather than bugger about with stock ECU's again I ordered a relay similar to what Tlicense has used for his twin pump setup. Just wired this in and had the same thing happen so im really confused now. Im starting to think it could be the FPC wire that is the problem but at the engine ECU end or even a problem with the main ECU. Does anybody know if there is a fuse that this wire uses anywhere

Edited by mikeyb10supra (see edit history)