The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Sidelights being odd

Guigsy

I have my sidelights in the bulge in the uk spec headlight and also another set in the facelift indicators. 4 Total.

So. I noticed a while ago one of my sidelights was out. IT was one on the passenger side in the facelift light cluster. Then the other day i noticed the one in the headlight had gone aswell. But they hadnt gone at the same time.

So i ordered up 4 led lights off ebay and fitted them today. Started with the facelift clusters, drivers side one first. Went in fine. Moved over to the passenger side one and put the bulb in and tested them...

The drivers side one works fine. But the passenger side one is very dim, Its lit up but just dim. Tried the 2 other led bulbs in there with the same result. if i put the bulb back in or the working bulb from the other side i took out for the LED one it just doesnt light up.

Whats going on? something electrical somewhere? Seems strange it just suddenly decided to lower the voltage or something.

Secondly how the hell do you get to the sidelights in the bulge in the headlights? do you have to take the headlights out? Seems like a lot of effort and a bit of a design flaw to just change a bulb!

just found this

If you feel behind the H/L you will find a 'screw-cap' behind the sidelight location. Undo it and pull it out. You will find the sidelight bulb on the end of a long extension fitted to this screwcap. The extension allows the bulb to fit into the H/L so far forward.
ive never noticed that. but i have so amny wires and stuff back down there from the hid kit that i dont know if i could even get it :p