The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Polishing pipework

Duffman

Bought this polishing kit as i'm going to give my pipework the once over http://www.thepolishingshop.co.uk/acatalog/Standard_Polishing_Kits.html...saw it on a thread on here.

Spent a quick 30 mins today trying it out to see how they came up and it didn't seem to be doing much tbh. Saw a pic on here where someone had polished the thin piping across the top of the engine bay and it came up anice and shiny, can't remember who it was though.

Anyone any tips???

I need more details first. What pipework are we talking about, what 30 min process did you do etc etc.

Talking about the air intake pipework...thinkt heres 4 pipes in all.

Just gave it a going over with the kit detailed above...didn't seem to be making much difference. How much time you reckon to do these properly?

Will these pipes be easily maintained after they have been polished? If they're gonna rust within a few weeks then I might just leave it

Talking about the air intake pipework...thinkt heres 4 pipes in all.

Just gave it a going over with the kit detailed above...didn't seem to be making much difference. How much time you reckon to do these properly?

Will these pipes be easily maintained after they have been polished? If they're gonna rust within a few weeks then I might just leave it

An electric drill wont have enough oomph to smooth off the casting on the cast ally pipes i wouldn't have thought not without it taking a long time.

You would need to start with an abrasive around 120 grit moving up to 240 - 320 grit to get the pipework to a smooth sheen before using the sisal mop with the grey supercut 40 compound to remove the scratches from the abrasive stages.

Then go on to the white stitch and sovereign green and finally calico g and blue compound.

The cast pipes will tarnish if left but with regular washing down and rewaxing they will last, you must put in the effort though or it will look tatty.

But if you learn the necessary polishing stages you could always go over them again.

Cheers for the info...thinking of just giving them a clean up instead of polishing them

An electric drill wont have enough oomph to smooth off the casting on the cast ally pipes i wouldn't have thought not without it taking a long time.

You would need to start with an abrasive around 120 grit moving up to 240 - 320 grit to get the pipework to a smooth sheen before using the sisal mop with the grey supercut 40 compound to remove the scratches from the abrasive stages.

Then go on to the white stitch and sovereign green and finally calico g and blue compound.

The cast pipes will tarnish if left but with regular washing down and rewaxing they will last, you must put in the effort though or it will look tatty.

But if you learn the necessary polishing stages you could always go over them again.

Cheers for the info...thinking of just giving them a clean up instead of polishing them

If thats the case then i wouldn't bother with the polishing kit.

I would go and get the ally pipes media blasted (not iron oxide grit) something like glass bead. This will make them look like brand new fresh from the factory and coupled with a good clean up of the rest of your engine bay (elbow grease required) you will have a nice looking engine bay which wont take much care ;)