The mkiv Supra Owners Club

turbo or valve guides ???

markylee

It it really hard. I've read all info on here and supraforums and I'm still not 100% certain with mine.

Most likely is VSS when the puf is at startup and setting off after idleing. When you get puf boosting or just stepping heavily on the throttle in neutral it points toward turbo seal.

For it to be either, it have to be blue smoke though.

Sure it's not just condensation?

yeah, that was what I was getting at. If you've smellt and seen smoke from burning oil, you will know the difference. If not, it could easily be mistaken, as the soop often puf a bit white smoke (vapour). Also in cold moist weather, this condensation can be immense.

Get someone to follow you on a warm engine and give it some stick. Get him to check for blue smoke (not black puf) on boost and on the overrun. This would indicate turbo seal.

Also keep an open mind to the fact that it can be a little of both.

thanks for the help guys , but its definately oil burning , ive had a few old jags in the past , so i know the smell and colour really well,lol ,ill put it down to the stem seals, does anyone, know much to replace the seals ???

Price depends on where you take it but for most garages, its a head off job and that means little change from £1000.

Shame, cos the valve stem seals cost hardly anything.

There are those that have done the job without removing the head but this is not a practice many garages will attempt.

I still need to do mine at some point but I have been waiting untill the smoking got worse as I cannot spare the money just yet.

To be honest, my car has puffed a bit of blue smoke on start up for nearly two years and it has never got any worse.