The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The engine runs for 3 sec and dies...???

chico

Hi Chaps,

having some problems with my 2jz-gte!

its a -97, with 66.000kms.

the soop was born SZ-R but it had a na-tt vvti conversion.

the problem is that it just starts up and runs fine for 3-4sec and then just dies! :confused:

no imobiliser!

any suggestions of what the problem could be??

//Chico

Guest supraboi

have you checked oil petrol etc it will probably be something stupid like that or a lose wire somewhere just a thought.

it could also be the fuel pump is not working properly and engine is not getting enough fuel to air mixture aswell and is just smothering itself and cutting out

have you checked oil petrol etc it will probably be something stupid like that or a lose wire somewhere just a thought.

it could also be the fuel pump is not working properly and engine is not getting enough fuel to air mixture aswell and is just smothering itself and cutting out

yep, checked oil, fuel, fuelpump is working, even changed to a fuelpump from a tt!

and another problem is that it runs when im using startergas!

but as soon as i elimitate the startergas it dies...

(sorry for my bad english)

Yep, VVTi loom and ecu. I'm pretty sure its going to be a fuel pressure issue Chico. Specially i'f its ok on start gas. You checked the pumps not cutting out for some reason? Plus, the fuel was well stale in that car. Have you put fresh in?

Yep, VVTi loom and ecu. I'm pretty sure its going to be a fuel pressure issue Chico. Specially i'f its ok on start gas. You checked the pumps not cutting out for some reason? Plus, the fuel was well stale in that car. Have you put fresh in?

Hi Jezz,

havent changed the fuel in it, i´ll tell my mate to do it tomorrow morning. ;)

checked wich pumps??

The soop is lovely, except its not starting... :p

Hi Jezz,

havent changed the fuel in it, i´ll tell my mate to do it tomorrow morning. ;)

checked wich pumps??

The soop is lovely, except its not starting... :p

Ah that fuel wont help. Its 2 years old! :D

Check the pumps whirring away, lift the space saver out the boot and put your ear to the cover, you should be able to hear it.

Mikey on this forum currently experiencing similar probs with his TT Supra.

It appears to an issue with Fuel Pump Control Unit only supplying short period of voltage to pump and then stopping.

Runs perfectly with FP CU bypassed (might be worth making sure pump keeps running once started).

Tho he put a 2nd hand FP CU on the other day, worked for couple of days and now new ones seems to have given up too just seems to prime pump and thats it, could be loss of a signal/feed from Engine CU to FP ECU, so now considering 12v mod as a solution.

Mikey on this forum currently experiencing similar probs with his TT Supra.

It appears to an issue with Fuel Pump Control Unit only supplying short period of voltage to pump and then stopping.

Runs perfectly with FP CU bypassed (might be worth making sure pump keeps running once started).

Tho he put a 2nd hand FP CU on the other day, worked for couple of days and now new ones seems to have given up too just seems to prime pump and thats it, could be loss of a signal/feed from Engine CU to FP ECU, so now considering 12v mod as a solution.

Thanx for taking time.

how do i do this 12v mod??

Thanx for taking time.

how do i do this 12v mod??

Well i'm NOT recommending you do this as a solution to your problems due to numerous reports of it being a bad thing and potentially dangerous for various reasons.

On Mikeys Supe, purely just to see if the car would run for more than just a couple of secs, bypassed the fuel pump control unit (have heard of numerous methods of doing it), but on his car just disconnected the FP CU located in the passenger side rear inner wing behind trim panels and on the plug-end bridged out main ignition switched live onto the pump feed wire. Can't remember what colour wires as was a few weeks back, but used a multimeter to check which wire fed the fuel pump and which supplied the FP CU with 12v (batt voltage) which IIRC was an Ignition swtched live.

As soon as ignition was turned on fuel pump will be heard running and stay running, so car started straight away to check all was running well, just kept on running no problem, shame new FP CU didn't sort it out for more than a couple days so.

Well i'm NOT recommending you do this as a solution to your problems due to numerous reports of it being a bad thing and potentially dangerous for various reasons.

On Mikeys Supe, purely just to see if the car would run for more than just a couple of secs, bypassed the fuel pump control unit (have heard of numerous methods of doing it), but on his car just disconnected the FP CU located in the passenger side rear inner wing behind trim panels and on the plug-end bridged out main ignition switched live onto the pump feed wire. Can't remember what colour wires as was a few weeks back, but used a multimeter to check which wire fed the fuel pump and which supplied the FP CU with 12v (batt voltage) which IIRC was an Ignition swtched live.

As soon as ignition was turned on fuel pump will be heard running and stay running, so car started straight away to check all was running well, just kept on running no problem, shame new FP CU didn't sort it out for more than a couple days so.

thanx,

so what is the best to do, to get it properly done??

I'd suggest you do a search on the mod for the safest/best method, i assume at present you are only trying to elminate things to get to cause of the problem and then proceed the potential solution, ie such as a new FP CU.

look i´ll be buying a new FP CU tomorrow then... :(

ok,

so you mean that i should try the 12v mod first?? and if it sorts the problem i should buy a new FP CU???

Well it's worth a go i guess, but if it then runs fine with a 12v mod it only means your getting closer to the cause of your problem, as in Mikeys case either he's incredibly unlucky for his next FP CU to have gone down after only a couple of days or there's some other problem with the car linked to killing off his two FP CU.

I'll let you know if i get a chance to have a look at his Supe at some point over the weekend and find out anything.

Well it's worth a go i guess, but if it then runs fine with a 12v mod it only means your getting closer to the cause of your problem, as in Mikeys case either he's incredibly unlucky for his next FP CU to have gone down after only a couple of days or there's some other problem with the car linked to killing off his two FP CU.

I'll let you know if i get a chance to have a look at his Supe at some point over the weekend and find out anything.

ok i see...

appreciate if u did and got back to me! ;)

Cheers