The mkiv Supra Owners Club

265 40 18 on a 9.5" rear rim

dandan

I know there have been an awful lot of threads on the forum about tyre sizes but not much that I could find on a 265 40 18 running on a 9.5" rear rim.

I have always run a 9" front rim with 245 40 18 and a 10" rear rim with 275 35 18 with F1 GSD3's. I have now acquired a set of 8.5" front wheels and 9.5" rear wheels and am looking for tyres to suit. These tyres need to be suitable for year round driving as they will be going on this 2nd set of wheels which may also be used on a similar vehicle.

On the Supra, I'm weighing up using my 245 and 275 tyres as a temporary thing or buying some Eagle F1 Asymmetrics in a 235 and 265 to suit the narrower wheels.

Also, does anybody actually run 245 40's on an 8.5" rim or 275 35's on a 9.5" rim?

This thread http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=174654&highlight=tyres+water+265 pointed out some apparently clear benefits of a 265 40 on the rear wheel but does anyone else have any experience of this size vs a 275 35 or a 265 35?

Cheers

Dan

Just checked my Bridgestone manual for recommended rim sizes and alternates;

both 265 and 275/40-18 are recommended on 9.5J rims with 9J acceptable as the smallest rim size useable.

I would post the manual for info but its 5MB in size!

If you go to Bridgestone UK web site ypou should be able to downoload a copy it shows recommended and minimum rim widths(plus a lot of other good info) down to 25 Profile

Rgds

George

Thanks for the replies fellas, it certainly sounds like the 275 on a 9.5" rim is pretty common, can the same be said for a 245 on an 8.5" rim?

The ref to grip...I was hoping the 40 profile of a 265 would help with rear end grip a little by giving that little bit more sidewall that can deflect. However, the 265 40 on the rear, doesn't sound that popular a choice so is hard to get any feedback :)