The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thrown a Belt

Animal

Bah! Just thrown my fan belt.

Less than a minute away from work this morning, I get a funny oily smell, then a dash full of warning lights and no power steering. Managed to crawl into the car park (by god it's hard to steer without assistance) and lifted the bonnet.

A few strands of belt scattered around the engine bay, and the pulley in the centre is at a jaunty angle, wedged against the fan.

Can anyone say exactly what has gone? I know it's probably not possible without looking at it, but I'd like a bit of a clue when I'm ringing up places to fix it.

Going to have to find a garage up here in Cumbria/Whitehaven and get it towed there.

Cheers

Okay, I've been and had a better look now and I think it's the tensioner that's come loose.

It's a smooth pulley right next to the big one on the top right as you're looking at it.

It looks like it could it just be bolted back on and a new belt fitted.

Ick. I'm going to go out and have a proper look in a bit, but if it is just that, then hopefully I can get the RAC out and get them to fit a new belt. I might get away with using the old belt to get me home, but it's a bit chewed - there are strands of it all over.

Spoke to CW and he hadn't heard of a tensioner pulley coming loose and reckoned the bearing could have collapsed. I'll find out soon I suppose.

It's just a bugger with me working 150 miles away from home and the only garage that comes slightly recommended made a complete arse of a service last time I was up here and the Toyota garage flatly refust to work on imports.

Just taken the pulley off and it's the bearing that's collapsed. Doesn't look like any other damage has been done. I've authorised it with my boss to work from home, so I'll get the car recovered home at some point today and get CW to rebuild the bearing.