The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Have a question for the resident experts (or those non experts who may know anyway)

Tee from China

OK looked at this Supra, not with any real intentions as it has a Veilside bodykit fitted and it was just the colour that caught my eye. The question is this .....the skirts and bumpers are blended in which looks really smooth but I wonder if there will be some flexing and therefore cracks appearing at some time...or am I wrong :innocent:

912113-1.jpg

I'm getting mine blended. There shouldn't really be an issue with anything other than the front bumper. For this reason i'm not blending in the bumper. Its too easy to scrape on a speedbump or whatever and that could easily crack the blend at the front. The overfenders, side skirts and, to a degree, the rear bumper should be fine.

It all depends on who carried out the work, fillers is designed to flex to a small degree but if its not applied correctly, i.e. thin layers, not with a shovel and just sanded down then yes cracks will occur, everywhere. Front bumpers aren't blended because there are a variety of reasons a front bumper will need to be removed over the years. Needing a respray everytime would be expensive.

My skirts were blended when I bought the car 2 years ago. But it wasn't the best job and the passenger side has cracked alot after I had to pop up a kerb to allow someone through, naturally I caught the skirt:(

If the job is a good one then it should be ok unless, like mine, it gets a bit of a wholop. The worst bit is the price to fix it again.

It all depends on who carried out the work, fillers is designed to flex to a small degree but if its not applied correctly, i.e. thin layers, not with a shovel and just sanded down then yes cracks will occur, everywhere. Front bumpers aren't blended because there are a variety of reasons a front bumper will need to be removed over the years. Needing a respray everytime would be expensive.

The one being questioned is. I know my reasons for not blending in the front bumper, mostly to do with the intercooler, but when it comes to cracking the front bumper is the prime place that it will happen.

Its all a question of how the kit was fixed, and the quality of the filler/fibreglass, all kits will flex to a grater or lesser degree, so there will be high stress areas, and these are the places that bare the tell tale signs, but even the best fitted kits will show some signs of cracking sooner or later.

Edit, oh! and the front bumper is a no brainer.

I think the owner of this car has been on the forum of late... getting very upset about the comments in elation to the safety of the car if my mind serves.

It is a lovely colour.

Sorry but me thinks your confusing yourself as same colour - different car because this one doesn't have a flip up flimsy front:innocent: