The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Whats my car worth? (NOT selling!!!)

Dave_SZ-R

Hey folks,

As stated in the title, want to get an idea of how much my car might fetch in these tough economic times. Im not considering selling, just curious to get an idea of what one of these would fetch.

1997 Facelift SZ-R (N/a 6-Speed manual)

80k miles

Gunmetal grey

Bilstein suspension (yellow shocks)

Endless pads (blue) and bigger brakes

Veilside front splitter and rear spoiler (I know, theyre coming off soon!)

Bomex skirts

18 inch Inovit wheels (TE37 replica) 2 Dunlops, 2 Pirellis all with lots of tread

5Zigen cat-back exhaust

Recaro drivers seat, Momo Formula wheel, Veilside gearknob

Kenwood double-din stereo with front aux connector

This car has the usual facelift stuff- black carpets, faux leather roof lining, leccy folding mirrors etc. It also has an LSD, which apparently not all Supras have, and ofcourse the very desirable V161 gearbox.

Bodywork and paintwise the car is immaculate, and there is no evidence of spraying or bad panel gaps. Im the first UK owner, so there is no real service history to speak of.

As I said, Im NOT selling, just like to get an idea of what my car is worth (especially to those in the know!). Tried this on celica-club.co.uk with my last car, and valuations varied by as much as £4500!

There are a couple of pics in my garage, although Ive tidied her up a bit now.

Whatever someone will pay for it tbh .

The mods may appeal to some yet put others off .

Yeah, the Veilside front splitter in particular Id imagine! I have a Do-Luck bumper in my spare room which I bought on here last week waiting to get fitted (along with afew other choice bits!).

The idea behind buying the car for me was to get a clean 6-speed n/a so that there is scope to put a TT engine in there in a year or so (once Im into the mid 90k miles). With the brakes, gearbox and diff I wont have to do much else. Plus I always wanted a Gunmetal car- best colour IMHO.

seeing as half decent tt's can be now had for between 5-6k, i dont think many people would be looking to spend more than 4-5k on a very tidy na.... but you never know, someone might like to convert it to a tt and be willing to pay a bit more for it

Its absolutly not worth asking that kind of question on here tbh because so many people have such a difference of opinion on each others cars, and it can get quite annoying when someone reckons your car is worth half what you want for it.

Have a look how much traders sell them for thats what i tend to do and then just knock a bit of that.

£3.5k is my guesstimate!

Well, thats a 2K variation so far! I currently wouldnt want to be running a TT, as Ive just taken on a big mortage on my new place, plus Im a 'holidays!' person (Boston, Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York, Vegas, Santa Barbara, LA, San Francisco, Yosemite and Death Valley all in the last 2 years!) so saving pennies on petrol etc. matters to me. Ofcourse, Ill last a year if Im lucky before TTing the car!

Is it considered more sensible to:

a: Buy a 6-Speed n/a, and later fit a 2JZ-GE

b: Buy a turbo car, and later fit a 6-Speed box?

Somebody please say 'a'!

Its absolutly not worth asking that kind of question on here tbh because so many people have such a difference of opinion on each others cars, and it can get quite annoying when someone reckons your car is worth half what you want for it.

Have a look how much traders sell them for thats what i tend to do and then just knock a bit of that.

Sound advice indeed, that would give a 'real world' idea of what it might fetch. I do like to hear what everyone has to say though, even if they think its worth a tenner...

Well, thats a 2K variation so far! I currently wouldnt want to be running a TT, as Ive just taken on a big mortage on my new place, plus Im a 'holidays!' person (Boston, Philadelphia, New Jersey, New York, Vegas, Santa Barbara, LA, San Francisco, Yosemite and Death Valley all in the last 2 years!) so saving pennies on petrol etc. matters to me. Ofcourse, Ill last a year if Im lucky before TTing the car!

Is it considered more sensible to:

a: Buy a 6-Speed n/a, and later fit a 2JZ-GE

b: Buy a turbo car, and later fit a 6-Speed box?

Somebody please say 'a'!

Save up until you can afford a tt? C?

Save up until you can afford a tt? C?

Ah yes, that would also be an idea, though like I said, Ill be better set up to run it in a year or so, plus I had to get rid of my last car quick and refused to drive around in a shed until the right car came along.

But yes, 'c' is definitely sensible if you have the time...