The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Intake temps.

b_have

Spent the day map tweaking and noticed on the datalog that my AITs are steady at 14C even at 1.7bar (ambient was 11C).

Only time it climbs a little is when waiting in traffic, but then only hits 16C.

My Ait sensor is pre meth-inj, so should be even lower on boost. I have a thermal block gasket between the mani and head and the mani is barely warm after a hard pull.

Anyone else have a single ait log handy?

Glad the lessons with Fc-datalogit are working alright chap :)

I have loads of logs what you after?

Wierd how it didn't rise much in traffic. Most supra get into the 30-40's in traffic in winter measuring at the stock location.

If your sensor is in the intercooler pipe then the sensor wont heat soak in traffic but the temps in the manifold will still go up.a

Be interesting to see your temps in the stock location..

Ryan

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

Thats great, where did you get the thermal gasket mate? and what ic is yours and what are your egt's at cruise?

Mine sits around 30c most the time.

yes would be interested to know which one you have, found these on fleabay http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-98-Toyota-Supra-2JZGTE-intake-performance-gasket-HP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem280316730359QQitemZ280316730359QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories, emailed the guy last week and these are 1/8" thick

Glad the lessons with Fc-datalogit are working alright chap :)

I have loads of logs what you after?

Wierd how it didn't rise much in traffic. Most supra get into the 30-40's in traffic in winter measuring at the stock location.

If your sensor is in the intercooler pipe then the sensor wont heat soak in traffic but the temps in the manifold will still go up.a

Be interesting to see your temps in the stock location..

Ryan

Lessons were great :) Also, many thanks for setting up the full screen display, works great while driving.

The sensor is in the intercooler pipe just before the throttlebody.

I was suprised how cool the plenum felt (barely warm) after a hard pull, the thermal barrier must be doing the job.

Thats great, where did you get the thermal gasket mate? and what ic is yours and what are your egt's at cruise?

Mine sits around 30c most the time.

I bought it from an e-bay (USA) a couple of years ago. Looks very similar the one Pauls found.

I think the most important thing is the cold airbox I built below the headlight.It is completely sealed from any heatsource and (in the dry) is ram fed from the front duct.I think the fmic is an ARC unit, it is fully ducted to the Stillen nose.

EGTs are around 1100F (old money:() on cruise.

That looks like the same one. Had to trim it for an exact match to the runners.

I bought it from an e-bay (USA) a couple of years ago. Looks very similar the one Pauls found.

I think the most important thing is the cold airbox I built below the headlight.It is completely sealed from any heatsource and (in the dry) is ram fed from the front duct.I think the fmic is an ARC unit, it is fully ducted to the Stillen nose.

EGTs are around 1100F (old money:() on cruise.

Next job is ducting my FMIC, i have the filter in bumper like you, my EGT's are high on cruise, around 800c.

What are they made out of Paul? Ideally wants to be phenolic

Ryan

Edited by Ryan.G (see edit history)

What are they made out of Paul? Ideally wants to be phenolic

Ryan

for the price Ryan i'm going to have a look, in my previous employ we had sheets and sheets of phenolic we used to insulate stinking hot injection mould tools with, but now i would have to buy it :( we have a cnc miller at work but it would take time setting up to make one, the easy way to do it would be with waterjet cutting but that doesn't cope well with composites so for 27 bucks i'll have a look and post up

for the price Ryan i'm going to have a look, in my previous employ we had sheets and sheets of phenolic we used to insulate stinking hot injection mould tools with, but now i would have to buy it :( we have a cnc miller at work but it would take time setting up to make one, the easy way to do it would be with waterjet cutting but that doesn't cope well with composites so for 27 bucks i'll have a look and post up

Paul - could you order one for me as well please?

• 2 weeks later...

gasket turned up early last week but i've been away with work, looks pretty good and from working in the plastics industry for 18 years in a past life i am about 90% sure its polypropylene :)which is good but theres a 10% chance its polyethylene :( which isn't that bad :) but not as good:(, polypropylene is a pretty good heat insulator, not as good as thermoset phenolic which has a far higher heat range (the temps our cylinder heads see its not an issue) but not far off, in conclusion looks a pretty good product fits well (slight trimming needed) and will definately reduce intake manifold temps, anyone got any insulated washers while we're at it :eyebrows:

gasket turned up early last week but i've been away with work, looks pretty good and from working in the plastics industry for 18 years in a past life i am about 90% sure its polypropylene :)which is good but theres a 10% chance its polyethylene :( which isn't that bad :) but not as good:(, polypropylene is a pretty good heat insulator, not as good as thermoset phenolic which has a far higher heat range (the temps our cylinder heads see its not an issue) but not far off, in conclusion looks a pretty good product fits well (slight trimming needed) and will definately reduce intake manifold temps, anyone got any insulated washers while we're at it :eyebrows:

Paul is this the one you bought from ebay?

what is the install like?

Paul is this the one you bought from ebay?

what is the install like?

yes sorry mate http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-98-Toyota-Supra-2JZGTE-intake-performance-gasket-HP_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2em63Q2el1177QQhashZitem280321854704QQitemZ280321854704QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories install is fine all the holes line up just a sharp knife for very minor trimming here and there

• 5 weeks later...

the only slight critism i would have is, if you look at the second pic i posted you can see the gasket follows the line of the original gasket, this means you have a void when the manifold is bolted up ie a 4mm gap all the way round, so the manifold to head joint is not a smooth transition, maybe this could cause a bit of turbulence in the intake, how relevant on a turbo engine this is i dont know

• 1 year later...

what i am going to do is buy some tufnol / phenolic sheet and make my own, you could use a router to cut to the same shape as inlet gasket or mod slighty to fit better, another idea would be for someone to make one then using router to cut more then sell on here? have put link in below hope it works as i know good as computers, regards chris.

ps what thickness are they nomally

http://www.directplasticsonline.co.uk/TufnolSheet/