The mkiv Supra Owners Club

new install; HKS T04Z from a T67DBB first impressions

Mike B

I have had Supy off the road for for the past few months, installing bits and bobs as well as working on a custom bodykit.

I have finally got her running again and she's been out on the road for the past few days. The only powertrain modification I have done to the car is fitting an HKS T04Z instead of the T67 DBB, as I had heard that the HKS is quite a special turbo, and as I understand it a slight power increase from the T67, so I was eager to have a go with one.

Turbo is a T04Z with a 1.0ar divided housing... the turbo I'm comparing it to is a T67DBB with a '86 non divided housing. I've also had a GT4088R and a GT35R, all with varous exhaust ar's.

Now I know there are people who say that my setup is unique, and also it has to be put on a rolling road to varify true results, and I agree, but for me it's how the car feels and to that end it's my opinion I'm intereted in more than numbers.

I have to say this T04Z is not going to make it anywhere near the dyno, it's coming off and the T67 is going back on :(

It provides a reasonable spool low down, but then fails to build.. it then gets a power spike around 4.5K but then tails off to the redline. It's also not that powerful IMHO, even at 1.45 bar it feels lazy.

It could be a mapping issue, and I'm sure if I got a bespoke hks mapping for this one turbo then it would improve, but all the experience of all the turbo's I have used (all the same way) tell me that this tubby is slow spooling, and needs a bigger ar to be competivive top end, which would destroy the spool it does have. It's noisy, lethargic and doesn't flow gas very well in this tune. Very dissapointed to be honest.

So there we go, of all the turbos I have had, the two winners are

GT35R with a '68 non divided housing - fantastic response but slighty asthmatic over 6.5k.

T67DBB with a '86 housing - decent response, tons of power, huge powerband and free breathing top end right through to 8k. I tried the '68 housing on this tubby and it was not happy.

So ends the turbo hunt, I'm going to the T67 and staying put. It's a very, very good turbo.

Full respray booked after Marham.... :)

Nice work Mike, one turbo to cross off my list, still undecided to go for a T67DBB or a T51R/71DBB when my GT4088R finally destroys itself.

What's this custom kit? any pics? :D

Ah ha... :)

Custom front bumper based on the Do-luck - got it in primer now and I think it looks awesome. Also give full frontal to the fmic.

New bootlid with the rear lip removed and sloped down in the centre as low as it will go. Need to fit this before I decide it's good, but it's looking like it might work so far.

New custom rear spoiler, and I think this is going to be the best piece, not overstated but really clean. Half way between a motorsport spoiler and a spoiler for look. Had 3 goes at making spoiler shapes before settling on this one.

The whole idea was to bring some slightly harder lines to the sup, which is a beautiful body generally, just needing some cleaner, leff fussy lines.

Not keen on posting any photos of the bits until she's painted, as if it looks as good as I think they will I may mould and make some copies.

I love custom stuff, makes the car unique :thumbs:

ha ha,

TBH it's a case of I've started so I'll finish... It's been a big time sink. Just got past the 2nd guide coat stage and my finger ends tell me that it's about ready to passed over to the body shop to finish.

Yip, bought & sold, will buy again when the GT4088R dies, no point having it sat there doing nothing while my current setup is performing well

you should try and get a ride in ash's car next time you are in the midlands. He's been working on his t51 for a while and just about has it right now..

I second that the turbo is nuts lol went straight from std jap set up to this monster :shock: check my garage for pics

j

just saw your sig there in your post and your soup is running

900bhp+ . What boost you running on that and whats your spec ?

T67 does seem hard to beat, i may try a .86 housing now you say you prefered it over the .68, im still going to try a 71gts when the exchange rate picks up.

I've just switched my exhaust housing from a .68 to a .86, be interesting to see what difference it makes. I've made quite a few other changes too though, cams, +1mm valves and ported head, we'll see!

GT35R with a '68 non divided housing - fantastic response but slighty asthmatic over 6.5k.

The AR .68 was probably a bit too small for the 2JZ, GT35R AR .82 I ran pulled hard to the 7K limit with in256/ex264 cams, with very quick response.

I've always run a .68AR on my T67's and have been happy with it, it doesn't feel like it's choking at stock redline or a bit beyond - what did you mean by "not happy"? What would you say the difference is with the .86AR? I doubt it'd spool faster as it's a bigger housing and turbo physics isn't supposed to work that way.

The T04Z and T67 are about the same size (just one is shiny and costs twice as much :D ) so I was somewhat expecting this to be an annoying thread where it was 'a hundred times better' :) Imagine my pleasant surprise when an honest review sprung up!

-Ian