The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Scam?

AlexJames

Doesnt seem right, he speaks broken English and is called David Jones? ... him putting trust in me, WITHOUT even seeing the car sounds odd to me...

... but if he is promising collection will not take place till the cheque has cleared?

:search:

----------------------

Hello,

Thanks you so much for the email i want you to understand that I won't be able to come and have a look at the item . that is why i want you to be honest with me if the condition of the item is okay i promise to offer you £100 more to your asking price and wish to be the next owner because i will be giving it out as birthday gift to my cousin. I will be making my payment via cheque and i will arrange pick up as well after payment is 100% cleared. I will be including the shipping fee on the payment so immediately you get the payment you will deduct your part funds and the rest would be for transport agency so all papers works or any document concerning the shipment will be done by my shipping agency to make the transaction complete. I want you to get back to me with all the necessary information listed below in order to make out the cheque.

Name:

Address:

City

Post Code:

State:

Country

Mobile Number

Office Phone:

Home Phone:

Selling Price

I will give you more £ 100 free { For You, to Reserve the item For Me} I will make sure the payment get to you within 7 working days.

Regards

David Jones

I am sure this is like many other scams. I am not sure of details, but the sender of the funds is able to get their funds back from the bank quite some time after the funds have cleared your account, even with bankers drafts.

You could avoid this buy creating an account just for this transaction and then making an immediate transfer, after funds clear, to another account and closing down the item sale account. Probably not worth the hastle.

Guest willismaximus

Major scam, plus, once he has your details he can use them to try and blag credit cards and allsorts in your name etc and just generally beat you with the Identity fraud beating stick thingymebob :sly:

I am sure this is like many other scams. I am not sure of details, but the sender of the funds is able to get their funds back from the bank quite some time after the funds have cleared your account

Don't think many people realise this.

My brother in law sold a set of Ferrari wheels on ebay, he suspected a scam, but waited until a cheque arrived and banked it.

He called into the bank a few days later and was told that the "cheque had cleared".

He sent the wheels, but a week or so later he got a letter from the bank saying that it had not cleared.

He went back to the bank and saw the Manager who confronted the person who had told him it had cleared which she then denied !

No wheels - no money :(

Not sure what I would do in a similar situation apart from get a letter from the bank saying that it had cleared and could not be withdrawn - if they would do that ?

It must be crap if you are a genuine car buyer who lives in Nigeria :blink:

You could avoid this buy creating an account just for this transaction and then making an immediate transfer, after funds clear, to another account and closing down the item sale account. Probably not worth the hastle.
Hmm - I wonder if that would work?