The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Loud bang ends in Slack Serpentine Belt (Drive Belt, Accessory Belt, etc...)???

qwarrior

I've had a squeak on my Drive belt for a few weeks and meant to look into it.

While I was on my way up the A1 2 days ago, there was a loud bang and something went under the car which was followed by the almighty sqeak of a completely slack belt and no steering because the PSP was not going round.

When I first popped the bonnet I thought that the tensioner must have droped off or something, but it's still there. All the pulleys are still in place and I've had the belt off to measure it and it hasn't stretched.

But, it's slack as hell. I thought maybe the alternator or one of the pumps had moved on a slotted mounting bolt, but have since discovered they haven't or don't appear to have with out removing all of the gubbins in front of them.

I'm stumped, how can the belt still be slack and the tensioner at the end of it's travel.

Any ideas guys ??? :confused:

You were lucky chap. Where did the outer bit go?? Alot that let go like that go whizzing up into the ancilliary gubbins and smash them all to bits. Some have even been known to go through the cam belt cover and rip the cambelt to bits. FWIW I would now replace the crank pulley as a service item at 10-12 years having seen mine go and a number of others in that time frame.

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers for all you input guys, the outer ring went down not up, found the scratches on the sump and exhaust where it went under the car. It's in the middle of the A1 now if anybody wants to recover it.

Got another from Envy Performance, £230.

cheers again.