The mkiv Supra Owners Club

steering rack – to much play

bamboo rocket

The other day I had the car to Car inspection/Danish MOT. And one of the problem’s with the car was to much play with the steering rack – the result report stat that there is to much play on the right side.

Is there any way to tighten this – or are there any parts I can change – without having to change the whole steering rack

(price 667 £:()

Thanks

I'm not the best person to comment but just thinking logically, it sounds a bit odd that one side would be more affected than the other, when they are both connected to the same seteering rack - are you sure it's the rack and not a bearing or some connecting part?

I'm not the best person to comment but just thinking logically, it sounds a bit odd that one side would be more affected than the other, when they are both connected to the same seteering rack - are you sure it's the rack and not a bearing or some connecting part?

Well I am not to technical – but one of the other problems the car inspector mention was that the front lower ball joint was no good - so have already ordered a new set of front lower suspension arms from Steve Manley – You think changing them will remove the play on the steering rack?

I had a very similar problem about three weeks ago. I was trying to get at the oil filter so jacked the car up and whilst trying to take the wheel off I noticed there was play in it and it was only on the nearside. I took it to the place that did my laser tracking for me not long before and it was a tie rod end that had come loose. After it was tightened the car felt a lot better. The guy told me he had no way of torquing a closed nut and thats why it wasn't torqued to 41ft/lb as it should of been, I thought atleast a crows foot on a normal torque wrench would of been a bloody start.

I had a very similar problem about three weeks ago. I was trying to get at the oil filter so jacked the car up and whilst trying to take the wheel off I noticed there was play in it and it was only on the nearside. I took it to the place that did my laser tracking for me not long before and it was a tie rod end that had come loose. After it was tightened the car felt a lot better. The guy told me he had no way of torquing a closed nut and thats why it wasn't torqued to 41ft/lb as it should of been, I thought atleast a crows foot on a normal torque wrench would of been a bloody start.

Good to hear that it might be an easy fix, I will keep my fingers crossed – will let my mechanic have a look at it when he installs the new front lower suspension arms.

If it's play in the rack bushes a new rack is the beat answer. if it's the inner tie rod joints (called the rack end joints over here) they come separate to the rack as a part of the tie rods themselves. You need to specify EXACTLY where the play is. Pull the gaiters up along the tie rods to see properly. DO NOT get dirt in there...