The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Heater matrix on its way out?

hoff

I have done a search but I'm still hoping I'm wrong in thinking my heater matrix is on the way out.

While out in the car today I turned the temp gauge upto 25 degrees and imediatly the windscreen started to mist up up and there was a nasty smell, similar to burning rubber. I turned the heat down and both the smell and misting went away. Tried this a few times each with the same out come. Then as I pulled up with the temp turned down I noticed it started to mist up again.

I've just got back now and checked the passenger footwell and it's dry as a bone. Once she cools down I'll check the water levels.

My 1st thought was that maybe the winow cleaner I used to clean the inside of the windows and windscreen hasn't been wiped away properly and it was that :rolleyes: But I'm fearing the worse, that the heater matrix is about to pack in. Would you agree?

Just checked the radiator and expension tank and I've not lost any water. Started the car and all was good on tick over but gave it a few rev, upto about 1600 rpm and heard some gurgling from behined the dash. Is that the matrix or a split pipe maybe? Still dry in the passenger footwell though.

Mmmm. My brother in law is a mechanic so he's on his way to have a look. I'll go through it all with. I really hope its not the matrix because it'll be a real PITA not having it for a few days while we replace it after he's done at work every night.

I know its due to go due to the age though. My old celica st202 had its heater matrix pack in. He took 22 days off work to do it on my drive. Dont remember that one smelling though. Depends on the anti-freeze I suspect though.