The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Force-fed NA!

pedrosixfour

If I was to fashion/find a headlight air intake and mate it to one of those sealed induction kit type jobbies could I expect the ECU to acknowledge the denser air supply and add a touch more fuel to the mix for a few extra ponys at the 70-80-90-100 mile an hour mark?

Or am I just talking shite as usual??

Cheers.

What you describe is just like putting an induction kit on.

Well it is, basically.

But what I want to know is if there is any advantage to doing it the way I described, will the fact that the intake is open to the air which is hitting the front of the car at high speeds be of any benefit. I do realise it will be miniscule if at all.

Well it is, basically.

But what I want to know is if there is any advantage to doing it the way I described, will the fact that the intake is open to the air which is hitting the front of the car at high speeds be of any benefit. I do realise it will be miniscule if at all.

Not at the level of air you're flowing. It's only really beneficial when running large turbos on dragstrips, because the air is coming from away from the engine bay, hence reducing heat soak from the engine.

You might see a slight difference on dark winter nights, but then you'll need your lights anyway :)

You might see a slight difference on dark winter nights, but then you'll need your lights anyway :)

I'd be willing to sacrifice one of em!

So if theres no great gains to be made due to the small increase in pressure is if fair to say then that I wouldn't be making a total bollix of it either.

In other words I wouldn't be upsetting the air/fuel mix to the point of losing power?

I'd be willing to sacrifice one of em!

So if theres no great gains to be made due to the small increase in pressure is if fair to say then that I wouldn't be making a total bollix of it either.

In other words I wouldn't be upsetting the air/fuel mix to the point of losing power?

Apart from being totally pointless, it won't mess up your AFRs. Why not just use super-unleaded and enjoy more performance gain? Or isn't that the look you're going for?

i asume 95 is the best you can get and your not useing 95 because its cheep and then bumping it up with "booster".

Personaly i put oactane booster in the same bracket as electric superchargers and magnetic fuel line mpg increasers. Ive seen various reviews and tests where octane boosters made sod all difference

i asume 95 is the best you can get and your not useing 95 because its cheep and then bumping it up with "booster".

Personaly i put oactane booster in the same bracket as electric superchargers and magnetic fuel line mpg increasers. Ive seen various reviews and tests where octane boosters made sod all difference

Thats all thats available around me, super-unleaded (98 octane) seems to have all but disappeared. My main reason for using octane booster would be because although my car was de-limited during it's brief stay in the UK I've no idea whether that would include a re-map to facilitate running on a lower grade fuel.

Im not too well versed on the proceedures so I'm just trying to minimise poor running and premature wear.

What you're talking about is Ram-air (well at least it was on older carb engines). Not sure it'd make any difference on an injected engine. What you really want is to get a decent cold air charge which a sealed induction box with heavy insulation will help with, it just needs a good entry point for the cold air.

you need a re map to use diffrent grades of fuel :search:

You wouldn't need a remap to use super in an N/A.

From what I've gathered it seems to be a fairly common mod on JDM cars imported directly to Ireland where 95 octane fuel is the norm.

But don't assume that I know how or why or even if its just a load of crap.

There again it could be more for turbo'd motors running on borrowed time anyway.

What you're talking about is Ram-air (well at least it was on older carb engines). Not sure it'd make any difference on an injected engine. What you really want is to get a decent cold air charge which a sealed induction box with heavy insulation will help with, it just needs a good entry point for the cold air.

Cold air charge? Like a headlight intake? Or is this something bonkers??

Edited by pedrosixfour (see edit history)

It does make a difference hence all the motor bike manufactures making the ram air system which is same as your idea such as a gsxr srad which stands for s u z k i ram air direct if you could get away with your e c u or m a f sensor been alright & there not been any flat spots you WILL notice a difference

It does make a difference hence all the motor bike manufactures making the ram air system which is same as your idea such as a gsxr srad which stands for s u z k i ram air direct if you could get away with your e c u or m a f sensor been alright & there not been any flat spots you WILL notice a difference

... but it's just as good as having the same mod fitted in the bumper at considerably less cost and hassle.

Cold air charge? Like a headlight intake? Or is this something bonkers??

Colder air = more power. It means you need a direct source of cold air from the outside of the car. The nicest way to do this is to get a feed fabricated from one of the lower ducts (needs some drilling and pipework in the inner wing), or a small scoop on the hood just above the filter. It needs to be completely sealed otherwise there will be no difference.

The stock air intake does a pretty nice job of this ;)