The mkiv Supra Owners Club

No Hot Air And No 2nd Turbo

Jamesy W

Last month my head gasket went, due to a faulty thermostat, so I get it back and all is well. At this point I hadn't tried the car on boost, just the odd bid on 1st as I drove it home, but the heating was hot as it should be.

Now a few days later I decide to take it out for a spin, on the motorway as I planted my foot, instead of 2nd coming online at 4k my boost dropped to around 3psi, if that weren't bad enough the heaters the start blowing lukewarm air.

Now my heating is pretty much freezing cold and I have no 2nd turbo. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I should add that the plugs were changed just last week, all coil connectors are sound condition and (thanks to Scotster) the VSV's have all been checked.

What did you check the VSV's for mate? I'm having a problem with the 2nd turbo at the moment and it looks like its the wastegate VSV

Last month my head gasket went, due to a faulty thermostat, so I get it back and all is well. At this point I hadn't tried the car on boost, just the odd bid on 1st as I drove it home, but the heating was hot as it should be.

Now a few days later I decide to take it out for a spin, on the motorway as I planted my foot, instead of 2nd coming online at 4k my boost dropped to around 3psi, if that weren't bad enough the heaters the start blowing lukewarm air.

Now my heating is pretty much freezing cold and I have no 2nd turbo. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I should add that the plugs were changed just last week, all coil connectors are sound condition and (thanks to Scotster) the VSV's have all been checked.

After a full day trying to get turbo 2 back in business I'm still nowhere.

I have tried the tinfoil trick on both actuators, they both failed to open. So they have been jammed open and the car put into TTC mode, still nothing.

Now the strange thing is, when I accelerate from say around 30mph I am seeing 14psi before rapidly dropping to around 5 psi when No2 ashould come online.

When I accerate from say 50/60mph I'm only seeing around 8/9 psi before dropping to 5psi.

Has anyone any thoughts on this please?

I'll look into finding a 2nd hand one mate, cheers. It's a bit of a beatch to get to though isn't it?
yeah its a right bitch.I got to it from under the engine.Removed the starter motor and swapped it over.

Did the trick!

Did you fit a brand new one or what mate? Any idea on cost?

Edit - nevermind, just checked the dates on the posts and now it makes sense :D

Regarding the no heat issue, I can't see how it's related, is there any sign over an overheat? Are the pipes in and out of the heater matrix both getting warm or is one cold? I have a similar issue on my project car and am pretty sure it's just a lock in the matirx (need to force some water through it to make sure)

Very expensive new, but there is a member who posted here a few days ago asking how to remove one, so might be an option

Yeah I read that,but Scott's in the same position as me, his 2nd turbo is knackered too. There is one in the parts for sale section, but I'm just wondering if it's best to fit new or go with 2nd hand.?

Yeah I read that,but Scott's in the same position as me, his 2nd turbo is knackered too. There is one in the parts for sale section, but I'm just wondering if it's best to fit new or go with 2nd hand.?

If Richs post is right (and no reason to doubt it :D )then new is the way to go for sure, I was always told they were very expensive (but never checked it :( )