The mkiv Supra Owners Club

tiptronic auto manual?

supraspeed

Ok, been looking around for my next supra and after some very long and tedius London driving.... stop, pull away, stop, pull away, bus pulls out, stop, pull away....etc for an hour to cover 3 miles (no thanks to my new girlfriends location in Maida Vale :rolleyes:) my left foot is in a slight bit of pain to say the least and twice the size...

Anyway when i sell my manual supra hopefully soon, i'm looking for another turbo but not quite sure what to expect from an auto or tiptronic as ive never driven anything except a manual car before. i'm a bit worried/nervous to be honest as i'm not quite sure how they work for things like hill starts and pulling off, the so called "kickdown" etc. i wouldn't mind a compromise with a tiptronic but i think i'd feel a bit weird not knowing what gear its in etc. ive read a lot about the auto boxes and they sound great, and i'm not planning to do any track days...although i do like to thrash it round sometimes. Just wondering if theres a lot of difference in the way the car responds compared to a manual. cheers people :)

I got a tip mate and its great, It changes down on its own down hills in D and holds back instead of just rolling away at speed

You need to try and get a drive in both i would have given you a go but im down in devon !

cheers for the info. i would have to drive one in a car park for 5 mins before trusting myself on the road..especially with 400bhp under my right foot lol. dealers car, not so bothered :D