The mkiv Supra Owners Club

D.I.Y fail

w41k3r

tried to do my boot rubbers today and failed. First boot rubber screw come out fine no prob next rounded the head then drilled it out filed at that so put my new rubber on held in by just the one bolt but seems solid at the mo, as for the other side theyve started to round but i couldnt be bothered carrying on i lost the love for the job what are my options now yes i am a fail lol[sAD][/sAD]

I presume you didn't search on here for help first?

If you had you might have seen that they are held in place with Loctite and you need to soften this by heating the screw up, helps to cut away the rubber first and make sure you protect the paint.

Those little micro burners chefs use are ideal or you can just hold a soldering iron on the screw for a while.

The first tiome I changed a set, it took me 2~3 hours. The second time I was armed and it took me ~20 mins.

Like Michael suggests, heat is the key. A blow torch with a very thin directable flame is ideal - I used a gas soldering iron after taking the iron bit off the end. For added security, dampen a few kitchen roll pieces and stick those round the area that you're heating. I also cut away the rubber bits and if any of the screws were particulrarly evil to get moving, I grabbed the screw heads with some mole grips.

Good luck! :)