The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fuel pump ecu differences

mikeyb10supra

Is there any difference between the stock jspec and stock UK spec fuel pump ecus??

I have changed my jspec pump for a UK unit today and the car fires, idles for about 10 seconds then dies. At first I thought this may be a leak after calling Chris Wilson earlier but have later found out its the ECU after I bypassed it momenterily and run a full 12v to the pump and she run fine for a good 2-3 mins. I checked voltage leaving the ECU and its all over the place

So I need to know if there are any differences in ECU's for jap and UK cars or its just a case of mine being shafted, I just cant see how as it worked perfectly before

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikeyb10supra (see edit history)

duff ecu?

are the part numbers different, seem to remember it being on my ecu

I haven't checked part numbers, but cant imagine that having any bearing on how it works but could be wrong. Im just confused because it worked perfectly before and now its not which made me think I may need a UK fuel pump ecu seeing as its a UK pump ive put in.....im thinking maybe I shorted something out when messing about with the harness on top of the fuel hanger. Like I say it works fine with a straight 12v bypassing the ecu

I might try and source a 2nd hand unit for testing purposes and if that fails then it may have to be the 12v mod :(

Can anyone explain why the supra setup is a variable voltage setup as most cars do see a full 12v to the pump?

I am sure when I swapped my J spec pump for a UK pump, it was virtually plug and play. The 9v- 12v was Toyota's way of possibly extending pump life, only running the pump when there was demand i.e. on boost and second turbo. It is such along time ago now since I did it. I later did the 12volt mod:blink: it did seem like a good idea at the time.

Sorry I can't shed any light on why you are having problems. There must be other JDM owners who uprated to a UK pump, rather than go with a Walbro.

Have you checked the relay?

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

I am sure when I swapped my J spec pump for a UK pump, it was virtually plug and play. e time.

This is what I though Phil and the reason im confused about things. I am leaning more towards the ECU being at fault to be honest as everything is pointing to that. Its just very confusing as it worked perfectly before. The only possible explanation for the ECU going is that it was on its last legs before I changed it and the higher output pump had killed it....but even that seems unlikely

I think the best course of action at the mo is to souce a 2nd hand ECU and try it out

Have you checked the relay?

I haven't checked the relay but would that not stop the pump working full stop if that was at fault? We had it running with a constant 12volts for test purposes bypassing the ECU

I have fitted at least 3 UK pumps to J-Spec cars in the past, with no issues.

Its confusing me as well Chris as I assumed it would be a straight swap....It was me that called you on Sunday btw ;) Sorry for disturbing your sunday :innocent: appreciate the advice over the phone though

You did disconnect the battery when you fitted this didnt you !

imho that makes no odds

check the part numbers, if they are the same then it is sure to be the ecu, if they are different then there is a possible difference which needs to be found

Is the wiring loom up to and from the ecu the same on j specs and uk specs?

Update....Car now works again. Got a new ECU in there and its sorted the problem. Very confused how the original one suddenly went tits up though during the install of the UK pump?? Only resonable explanation I can think of is perhaps when I de-pressurised the system with the EFI fuses removed prior to installing the pump, it has messed up the ecu somehow. Maybe a blessing in disguise if it was on its last legs too.

something I found strange though....the ecu I pulled out of my car was a lot smaller and looked a lot different to the one I replaced it with so maybe there were some differences between early and late model cars so might also explain why the pump was not compatible with it