The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine turning but taking 20 seconds to catch

jaymdee

OK,

Haven't driven the car much the last few months, including 10 days where it sat covered in snow while I was away with work. Fancy going to the Basingstoke meet tomorrow, so cleaned the car and then wanted to give it a run to get petrol,

All dash lights light up fine, engine turns over fine, but doesn't catch. Tried a few times and eventually after holding it for 20 seconds, it started. Have searched but can't find any posts which seem to be the same problem

Don't think it's battery or starter contacts, Any other suggestions?

cheers

How did it do when it was warm Jon ?

Any better ?

G

Still seemed to struggle a bit after I filled up

few more questions -

1. Has it done it more than once

2. Was it trying to fire when cranking or just cranking on its own?

1. It did it when I started it up after being covered in snow for 10 days, but I figured it was just the cold

2. Not sure of the differece. Just the usual sound of the engine turning before it normally springs to life. Just no springing to life...

Am going to swap the battery as it might be that it just doesn't have the oomph due to the cold and has degraded

I think if the battery was past its best it prob wouldn't keep turning over for 20 seconds or you would notice it slowing down considerably. Certainly try another battery but if that doesn't cure it then I would try pulling the plugs to check you are getting fuel on first cranking and then try another set of plugs.