The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Jittery Under Heavy Braking.

Tricky-Ricky

Managed to take the Supra out for a bit of a play, even if the traffic was a bit of a pain;)but the weather was great:) noticed that i am getting a sort of a jittery feel under mod to heavy braking, and suspect its either down to uneven clamping force or a worn bush/suspension component. anybody suffered this and can name a likely cause?

Definately sure?

Mine were terrible, but it didn't feel like a quick enough vibration for a warped disc on mine. But when I felt it was worse when the brakes were hot I decided to change them today.

When i took them off I found that the inner disc surface was only wearing in the middle - kind of like a dip in the disc.

New ones on and is great and obviously stops like the UKs are known for!

Couple of things I've experienced, not sure if either matches your symptoms, but might help in your process of elimination...

When I got my Soarer it was quite a pig to drive due to worn lower front wishbone bushes, tramlining quite badly. But it was under heavy braking that it felt the worst, as the forces involved then pushed the wheels back, adding toe-out, making the car meander around. So I'd imagine that under braking is when one might first notice that bushes are wearing.

Another issue I've had with braking is when the wheel bearing went - gradually I noticed more and more vibration under braking, but felt through the car not the wheel or brake pedal. Even just before I got it sorted, it really wasn't noticable at low speeds or light braking, and there wasn't any detectable play in the bearing either. It was worse when braking on a bend. This happened after the car had been stood for a couple of months (mechanic thought that wasn't just coincidence).

Hope you get it sorted whatever it is, braking's the one thing you want working 100% on any car!!

• 2 years later...
wouldnt be anything to do with the ABS ring and/or sensors would it? would probably be more jittery when coming to a stop though but worth a look

I'm hoping it's not but thanks for the sugesstion. But then I think I have another issue. The ride quality feels a bit rough. What looks like a reasonably smooth road feels all bumpy. Could possibly be linked to the jittery brake issue.