The mkiv Supra Owners Club

No 2nd Turbo STILL

Scott

I've searched and i've checked everything i can think of to no avail. Today i stripped the engine down to the turbo's and i'm still none the wiser. I checked both turbo's to make sure they were spinning freely and they were. The only thing i can't check is whether the hot side of the 2nd turbo has no blades on it. When i spun them they felt about the same weight so i think the turbo's are OK.

The only thing of note that i have found is this. Could that be the issue? Something so small? I'm going to replace it regardless but i just want to make sure i have covered all the bases before i start putting the engine back together (next week).

Here is what i have done so far today....

attachment.php?attachmentid=88335&stc=1&d=1235227295

attachment.php?attachmentid=88336&stc=1&d=1235227295

DSCF1562.jpg

DSCF1563.jpg

The pressure tank is under the lower runners on the passenger side of the car.

Under the what? Can i access it easily enough? I only have my own experience of working on cars. The terminology is wasted on me sorry. Could you point on one of my pics?

Under the what? Can i access it easily enough? I only have my own experience of working on cars. The terminology is wasted on me sorry. Could you point on one of my pics?

You can check atleast pressure tank piping if you got small hands :D:D

It is located near "9" in picture, under intake, you cant see it from enginebay:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=13946&d=1112559170

Two metal pipes comes from driver side. They are connected with two rubber pipes to pressure tank (pressure tank lower --> pipe near firewall if i remember correctly...). Pressure tank is like soda can, two pipes pointing toward firewall.

I had same broblem with my jspec, broblem was blocked pressure tank pipes :blink:

btw, there can be a lot of else that leads to 2.turbo broblem, best is undrestanding supras sequential system so broblem solving is much easier... it can be cracked hose, faulty pressure tank, faulty egcv vsv, faulty iacv vsv, faulty egcv actuator, faulty iacv actuator... :blink::blink::blink:

Edited by kaahari (see edit history)

Ahh i thought that was the charcoal canister thing. Cheers, i'll go have a look :)

Ok, whats this thing??

That's the pressure tank haha :cool:

Check all the plumbing for the exhaust gas control valve - I once had a blockage in the metal pipe array that sits on top of all the turbo gubbins, so while the valve worked and the VSV worked, air still never got to the actuator. Try the tinfoil trick as well.

Edit - while the car is in that many bits you can simply blow through each and every hose, pipe, and tube. Easy :)

-Ian

Edit - while the car is in that many bits you can simply blow through each and every hose, pipe, and tube. Easy :)

-Ian

Hmm...offtopic but i have seen these broblems time to time on these boards, is there "guide-for-dummy" to identify these 2.nd turbo broblems?

You can check atleast pressure tank piping if you got small hands :D:D

It is located near "9" in picture, under intake, you cant see it from enginebay:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=13946&d=1112559170

Two metal pipes comes from driver side. They are connected with two rubber pipes to pressure tank (pressure tank lower --> pipe near firewall if i remember correctly...). Pressure tank is like soda can, two pipes pointing toward firewall.

I had same broblem with my jspec, broblem was blocked pressure tank pipes :blink:

btw, there can be a lot of else that leads to 2.turbo broblem, best is undrestanding supras sequential system so broblem solving is much easier... it can be cracked hose, faulty pressure tank, faulty egcv vsv, faulty iacv vsv, faulty egcv actuator, faulty iacv actuator... :blink::blink::blink:

Thanks for that, i'll have a look next time i have the energy... i'm KNACKERED lol.

Check all the plumbing for the exhaust gas control valve - I once had a blockage in the metal pipe array that sits on top of all the turbo gubbins, so while the valve worked and the VSV worked, air still never got to the actuator. Try the tinfoil trick as well.

-Ian

I'm replacing as many of the hoses as i can, changing them to red lol. I never even thought of the rail etc being blocked. I'll make sure i check every single one as i put it all back together.

Tin foil trick? :blink:

Hi mate Bet i can tell you the cause of this And you wasted your time stripping the engine down if it's what i think Stock bov . I bet you any money you can blow straight though it IE blow though one of the big holes and air will come out the other side .When it should not if it's OK .

I have an SSQV at the moment but i did think along those lines. I blocked off both of the pipes and took the BOV out completely... still the same lol.

It doesn't matter about stripping it down, as i said i was carrying out a lot of work anyway. I'm pretty bad at getting round to things but once i do, i like to get them all done at once.... i never know when i'll be in the "mood" again lol.

Thanks folks!

Hi mate Bet i can tell you the cause of this And you wasted your time stripping the engine down if it's what i think Stock bov . I bet you any money you can blow straight though it IE blow though one of the big holes and air will come out the other side .When it should not if it's OK .

If the BOV had failed he'd get no boost at all, not just when the second turbo comes online.

-Ian

I'm replacing as many of the hoses as i can, changing them to red lol. I never even thought of the rail etc being blocked. I'll make sure i check every single one as i put it all back together.

Tin foil trick? :blink:

Fold some tinfoil into a long thin strip (say about 6cm longish) and bend it a bit at one end. Reach down to the EGCV actuator, prise it open a bit, and put the short bent end of the tinfoil between the actuator arm and the stop. Let the actuator close on the tinfoil strip, holding it in place. (I wish I had pictures for this!)

Now go for a drive up the road and try to hit the second turbo. Park up and check if the tinfoil is still there. If the EGCV has opened up, the length of the tinfoil will ensure it falls away (making it tinfoil also avoids any embarrassing cardboard/exhaust system fires as well).

If the tinfoil is still there, your exhaust gas control valve isn't opening, so exhaust never flows through #2 turbo so it never spins. This means all your boost pressure back flows through turbo #2 as soon as the intake air control valve opens.

There is a minor issue that if the EGCV flutters a bit due to a partial pipe blockage, the tinfoil will still vanish - but cross that bridge if you get to it.

-Ian

If the BOV had failed he'd get no boost at all, not just when the second turbo comes online.

-Ian

Sorry but i beg to differ i have two mate's that had this problem no second turbo the first one i helped out we changed everything all the pipes all the vsv , the pressure take but still the same . then i found the bov was shot so we replaced that all hey presto both turbo's back .

The second one i just went straight to the bov and guess what it's knacked .

Fold some tinfoil into a long thin strip (say about 6cm longish) and bend it a bit at one end. Reach down to the EGCV actuator, prise it open a bit, and put the short bent end of the tinfoil between the actuator arm and the stop. Let the actuator close on the tinfoil strip, holding it in place. (I wish I had pictures for this!)

Now go for a drive up the road and try to hit the second turbo. Park up and check if the tinfoil is still there. If the EGCV has opened up, the length of the tinfoil will ensure it falls away (making it tinfoil also avoids any embarrassing cardboard/exhaust system fires as well).

If the tinfoil is still there, your exhaust gas control valve isn't opening, so exhaust never flows through #2 turbo so it never spins. This means all your boost pressure back flows through turbo #2 as soon as the intake air control valve opens.

There is a minor issue that if the EGCV flutters a bit due to a partial pipe blockage, the tinfoil will still vanish - but cross that bridge if you get to it.

-Ian

I'm not really sure what you mean by this mate, would i not need to take the turbo off to get to the EGCV valve?

Edit, i'm with you now lol. I like that one.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

• 1 month later...