The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra coming from a TVR

optim8

Hi Guys,

I'm currently selling my Griffith 500 with the aim of buying something with 4ish seats so I can fit the family in, so hopefully more driving time!!!

Anyway been right through all the cars I like and ended up with either a 300ZX or Supra. Out of these the Supra seems like a better bet as I love the look of them and reliability is in their favour.

So my questions are:

1) How reliable actually is the Supra?

2) Is there any preferences on year/spec/version (i.e. TT v Non TT - UK v Import etc..)

3) It's not going to be my daily drive, so I what sort of budget should I aim for a really upto gether one?

4) From a future classic point of view should I go for a non messed with one, if not does reliability go down as the BHP goes up?

5) Is there any preferences on manual v auto?

6) I like the Aero versions but read the chassis can flex, so not so much of a drivers car. Is this true?

7) The TVR is very twitchy at the backend, and when it goes is difficult to catch. Is the Supra similar?

8) What sort of servicing costs does a Supra have?

9) Is there a check list on what to look for when buying?

I think that's it for now, but I'm sure more questions will come up. Cheers.

Edited by optim8 (see edit history)

Welcome:) you have two number 5;)

1. If looked after very reliable.

2. TT 6 speed of any year.

3. Depends what model you want, 10k will get you a very nice car.

4. Stock body with a few performance mods is nice.

5. Manual for me

5. True, and they only come in auto.

6. Supra is easy to drive/drift.

7. Cheaper than a TVR;)

8. there is one around here, ill try and find it.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

Hi and :welcome:

I don't know too much about the 300zx other than they're quite retro now.

If looked after then very. Had no major problems with any of the three I've owned.

Some are getting a bit long in the tooth now so rads, alternators and such parts are likely to go - but that's nothing out of the ordinary.

2) Is there any preferences on year/spec/version (i.e. TT v Non TT - UK v Import etc..)

Lots of fights to be had over that.

Get out there and see as many as you can and form your own preference.

For me it was a Facelift VTTi TT

3) It's not going to be my daily drive, so I what sort of budget should I aim for a really upto gether one?

Other than fuel it doesn't cost any more to run than most larger cars. (Clearly more than a cheap euro A to B hatch though) The beauty of Toyota.

4) From a future classic point of view should I go for a non messed with one, if not does reliability go down as the BHP goes up?

Reliability will not go down, it may highlight and accelerate problems such as leaking valve stem seals. Obviously classic cars owners prefer to be untouched.

As No 2

6) I like the Aero versions but read the chassis can flex, so not so much of a drivers car. Is this true?

Yes. You can strengthen with various braces, but then it get's even heavier and will never be as strong as a hard top.

7) The TVR is very twitchy at the backend, and when it goes is difficult to catch. Is the Supra similar?

Depends how you drive it :D

If you're worried I strongly recommend RLTC

Supras came with and without LSD so look out for that option.

Most NAs didn't have LSD - just the SZ-R I believe.

Depends if you like to uprate parts as you go, stick to brands etc.

As mentioned above, it's a Toyota so parts are cheap considering the type of car.

The search bar is your friend. When you become a full member you'll have access to lots more technical resources, servicing schedules and how tos.

You're welcome.

Try to make some local events or visit club stands at the shows. The guys are a friendly bunch (well most of them) and will happily rant about how great the MkIV is.

Personally I believe it to be the best value for money for a performance car around.

Hi and welcome. The griffith is a lovely car, been in one of those around a track. you will miss the speed if you went for a non turbo.

I have a non turbo aerotop, I love it. It does flex quite a bit though, If I park it on the drive with the roof off, it then won't go back on unless i park it somewhere flat.

Had mine a year now, full service after I brought it and had no major issues with it. The rocker gaskets are now leaking, but is apparently a cheap and easy job to fix.

if you want supra performance but comfort , then go for an aritso mk2..lovely cars with all the mod cons you can imagine. i have all three and the aristo is the most comfortable one to take the family out in.

yeah that and its Aristo in case you've never heard of it and are trying to search for info.

Edited by Scooter (see edit history)

You wont fit the family in a Supra mate!

When my Vectra threw it's timing chain I had to use the Supra for a month. We went all sorts of places with the family in the car. My kids are 4 and 7 and fitted in okay, the 4 year old was on my side in the back and the 7 year old on the passenger side so the seat was pulled forward quite a bit.

So it can be done if the family is young enough.

Welcome

1) Very if looked after

2) Higher the spec the better, UK'S have the highest spec but later imports have vvti

3) 4.5k up to 20k+ lowest being a solid tt auto to a v late import tt6 or a highly modified single.

4) IMO same as any car, standard, few tastefully done mods won't hurt though.

5) Depends on driving style, where you live (traffic etc) The Auto is very good probably quicker in a quarter mile, TT6 can handle big power though.

6) No knowledge on this, but i thought near all aeros/convertibles flex more

7) Its high powered rear wheel drive, go figure.

8) A standard Supra i would imagine being cheaper than a TVR, but they are getting old now, a single may eat sizeable chunk more however.

9) Yep one on here somewheres.

Welcome to the forum

With regards to fitting in the family my Daughter and her boy friend often come out on long drives with my wife and me but my wife has short legs so has her seat fully forward and my Daughter sits sideways with her feet on her boyfriend's lap as I have long legs and there is no room at all behind my seat.

More room in the back than a 300zx and a lot more reliable

3 adults isnt much of a problem. as long as they dont mind being a little uncomfortable. but id still say they are in more comfort than 3 adults in a eurobox :p I took 2 guys to work for 6 months last year without any problems. Ive had 4 adults in a couple of times also. But one of them was sat sideways in the back.

Thanks guys for all your feedback, I did find a thread on here that has a really good overview of the cars and their models. Just gotta decide which one now.

As for my family my children are 3 and 7 and I'm fairly short 5''7' and so's my wife so reckon once I've got the seats pulled forward a bit they should fit in no problem.

Ok so I just need to sell the Griff now, and I can start looking! I've advertised it on Pistonheads and strangely I'm getting getting calls from Germany and Belgium on it. Tonight I got a call from someone in Belgium asking to come and see it tommorrow and they never asked a single question about the car!! Should Alarm Bells be ringing? I put them off by the way.

Also Mike here's a picture of my Griff.

http://www.testpilot.co.uk/tvr/img_1266.jpg

Thanks guys for all your feedback, I did find a thread on here that has a really good overview of the cars and their models. Just gotta decide which one now.

As for my family my children are 3 and 7 and I'm fairly short 5''7' and so's my wife so reckon once I've got the seats pulled forward a bit they should fit in no problem.

Ok so I just need to sell the Griff now, and I can start looking! I've advertised it on Pistonheads and strangely I'm getting getting calls from Germany and Belgium on it. Tonight I got a call from someone in Belgium asking to come and see it tommorrow and they never asked a single question about the car!! Should Alarm Bells be ringing? I put them off by the way.

Also Mike here's a picture of my Griff.

http://www.testpilot.co.uk/tvr/img_1266.jpg

Stunning, I love Griff 500's :thumbs:

Hi Guys,

I'm currently selling my Griffith 500 with the aim of buying something with 4ish seats so I can fit the family in, so hopefully more driving time!!!

Anyway been right through all the cars I like and ended up with either a 300ZX or Supra. Out of these the Supra seems like a better bet as I love the look of them and reliability is in their favour.

So my questions are:

1. Very, if looked after, though some cowboy garages have tarnished the reputation.

2. Personal preferance.

3. You can pick up a nice one for £5k or a very nice one for £10k, for the money your 500 will go for you will have your pick of any Supra so it depends how much you want to put into an old Japanese car. You can afford to be very choosey.

4. Imo there's too many wrecks and chaved up shitheaps for the car to be considered a future classic but UK 6spds and the VVTi 6spds will be contendors for the classic crown.

Re BHP vs Reliability- Depending WHO has done what more than WHAT has been done by who.

5. Personal preferance, both have their fans, the auto is very good for an auto box but nobody rips out a 6spd box for an OEM autobox but plenty go the other way.

6. True imo.

7. With respect, any pre Tamora TVR is left wanting (straight from the crate). The Supra has better control, balance, agility AND stability but the Griff has more feedback through the steering wheel. You will feel the weight of the Supra though, it's a much heavier car.

8. Parts are more expensive but you'll replace them less often, most servicing should be little more than fluids and filters.

9. Buying guide is in one of the tech forums :)

Btw, A chap called Geoff something had a Griff 520 and a Tiptronic Supra, as soon as another member reminds me of his last name I'll link you his PH profile and you can pick is brains, he's as sound as a pound and tells it straight with no bias.

Cheers for the comments on the Griff, They really are quite amazing pieces of kit, I've loved owning it, puts a grin on my face everytime I drive it, just don't get to drive it enough!

Guigsy, lovely looking motor mate, looks like its had a lot of time spent of it. I see you had a manual before, what made you go for an auto this time? I'll keep you posted on the sale of the Griff.

Gordy07, I've owned the Griff 5 years and in the whole time I've only had one problem with it which was last year. Turned out to be my ignition module breaking down, replaced that and the coil and it's been fine since. I know TVR are renowned for their electrics but they're pretty much a hand built car, I think some gremlins are all par for the course. Get behind the wheel and you forget all that anyway!!!

Gazboy, cheers for your comments, and Geoffs details, I'll send him an email.

Guigsy, lovely looking motor mate, looks like its had a lot of time spent of it. I see you had a manual before, what made you go for an auto this time? I'll keep you posted on the sale of the Griff.

When i got it the previous owner had done just about everything to it i wanted so i havent had to touch it. Like i say it will be changed before i sell though. There are some bits i want to keep for a new project :) And thats why im selling. I fancy making something i want rather than just finding and buying it. If you understand what i mean? I did that with my old car (bodywork) and it gave me much more satisfaction, although i didnt do the work myself lol.

The car i had before was a 5 speed N/A and to be honest it was a brilliant drive, the most fun i had in any car till i got the TT. You would find the N/A slow i think. But it doesnt mean its not fun or eye catching. :) when i had it i came from a 1.2 clio and it was like poop off a greased shovel.

I went for the auto this time for a few reasons. I wanted to see what all the fuss is about. Good 6 speeds were also a little out of my budget at the time.

To be honest its a great box. And if your going from A-B and doing it quickly and with ease arround town its brilliant. But over the last few months ive been thinking over the fun i had with the manual and i want that back again :)