The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Can the 5speed really hold BPU+! NO

dibbleyuk

Well after 4000miles my 5speed is destroyed! Im have told other members that i havnt had any problems mine all seems fine and it had...

But i was pushing it hard tonight came onto the A12 foot to the floor the car was pulling harder than ive ever felt it before! What a rush :D so 4th into 5th get to about 130leptons and BANG 5th gear gave up on me only one left that works and that was 4th so i did managed to get the car home.

Looks like the 5speed does go pop when BPU+ estimated over 400bhp :blink:

Oh well no biggy, Cant afford a 6speed conversion just yet so need another 5speed to get it back on the road maybe i will turn the boost controller down a little bit haha.

I will pull my box apart when its off any put some pictures up.

I plan to fit another 5speed for now, Its a nice and easy job that doesnt cost too much. It gets the car back on the road. I will just need to remember to take it easy! I do plan to go 6speed so not really intrested in the R154 conversion or auto really.

I was surpised it had held at as long as it did and was sure there must be more to it when i read the stories about other 5speeds going pop due to TT conversion Im sure it would of been fine with standard power but BPU seems to be a ticking time bomb.

Have to say its the first time the supra has borken down on me in 2years :) and its my own fault

Edited by dibbleyuk (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Ah good going, she went out with a bang! I ran mine at about 1.1 bar for around 2000 miles, will have to see how the new owner gets along with it. Have you decided which box your going for? It will be good to get a proper detailed write up on an r154 conversion on here if thats the route your going

• 3 months later...

sorry to dig this up but was on the way to japshow earlyer and pop there goes my 5 speed:(

so in need of another w58 but just wondering is there a detailed conversion thread on the r154 as i would like something a bit stronger??

but if a w58 comes by ill just throw that in:)

sorry to dig this up but was on the way to japshow earlyer and pop there goes my 5 speed:(

so in need of another w58 but just wondering is there a detailed conversion thread on the r154 as i would like something a bit stronger??

but if a w58 comes by ill just throw that in:)

Do a search, someone on here did a conversion and listed all of the parts needed.

With the correct part numbers it is an easy conversion and doesn't take long to do. The only problem is the waiting time for certain parts. (this is a post by Lebsteif)

Transmission Shift Fork P/N: 31204-14031

Shifter housing part# 33521-24040

Control Shift Lever part# 33570-24010

1JZ-GTE Bell housing for R154 Transmission P/N: 31111-14110

MK3 Slave Cylinder P/N: 31470-14050

Rear Tail Shaft Oil Seal P/N: 90311-40001

Flywheel bolts P/N: 90910-02103 (8 Of them)

Clutch release hub bearing P/N: 90363-45012 or 31231-14040

throw out (pilot bearing) P/N: 90363-12002-77

1jz flywheel

7mgte clutch

4000 miles!!! lucky you! i got about 50 miles on my (newly rebuilt 5 spd) and it exploded in 3rd! i was running a small single around 400bhp at the time but when the box was opened, it had shredded nearly ALL the teeth off of 3rd and 4th. 5spd's are not worth it imo