The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does it need to be serviced?

Glosphil

My Supe has been off the road over the winter since Novermber. I had recently serviced it with top grade oil, filter etc just before. I have started it every week or so and let it run for around 30 mins to an hour each time.

Should I service it again now I'm going to put it back on the road or shoud it be ok? only done about 1k on the oil in it but never let a car stand before.

Thanks

Its one of those things you read in every enthusiasts forum. Changing the oil every 6 months etc etc. The truth is that the oil is fine for much longer than that. Of course it makes a difference how hard the car is driven but i only ever do my service yearly.

The fact you have been running the car etc will mean its absolutely fine. Take it for a little spin to get the oil flowing then pull out the dip stick and check the viscosity.

Ask an oil seller if you should change your oil? hmm, i wonder :innocent:

Only since November? It'll be absolutely fine. Just take it out for a steady run and get it up to full temp, let it cool and just make sure there's no sludge in there.

BTW, it's better for the engine and rest of the drivetrain if you take it for a short run rather than it idle for ages. At least then the gearbox and diff oil gets a bit of work, along with the clutch, brakes and all the bearings. Those are the items that are more affected by storage, rather than the engine itself

Hmm. I have my oil analysed by TotalElf every 3 months for Lloyds Accredititation mate. Amazing what one can learn from people like this.

I did say "Rule of thumb" I did say OpieOil. Main man Guy has given us fantastic detail into the properties of oil and has provided unbiased info for us on an ad hoc basis.

How does the lay person check viscosity? TBN ? Water content ? Spot analysis ? Or whether the oil is behaving like oil, it splits to component parts. The sum of which is oil but individually :(

Sorry.

Hmm. I have my oil analysed by TotalElf every 3 months for Lloyds Accredititation mate. Amazing what one can learn from people like this.

I did say "Rule of thumb" I did say OpieOil. Main man Guy has given us fantastic detail into the properties of oil and has provided unbiased info for us on an ad hoc basis.

How does the lay person check viscosity? TBN ? Water content ? Spot analysis ? Or whether the oil is behaving like oil, it splits to component parts. The sum of which is oil but individually :(

Sorry.

Each to their own i guess. I just see it as overkill. Was the same over on the MR2 board. Its not race engines. I can see the point with regards to accreditation but thats just a form of preventive maintenence. Whats it in? A van?

I change my oil every 5k miles or 6 months.

Do you change the filter and the oil or just the oil?

I always change the oil and filter roughly around 8k. wonder if just change the oil every 5 and the filter every 10 would be reasonable?

Also wondering if I should be changing it myself as I dont get a magic stamp if I ever want to sell it on (only reason I would would be to buy a newer one)

Do you change the filter and the oil or just the oil?

I always change the oil and filter roughly around 8k. wonder if just change the oil every 5 and the filter every 10 would be reasonable?

Also wondering if I should be changing it myself as I dont get a magic stamp if I ever want to sell it on (only reason I would would be to buy a newer one)

Oil and filter every 5k miles/6 months. I use Mobil 10/40 semi and a Toyota OEM oil filter.

Car has 140k ish miles on the clock and runs like a dream and is my daily driver too :)

The oil change is dead easy to do, the only real issue is getting the oil filter off if you dont have ramps. However if you have small hands getting the filter off should be pretty easy :)

10000 or yearly for me. I haven't managed 2000 in a year yet never mind 10000 though so its every year.

Exactly why we analyze. Saves ripping stuff apart to check it. I'm lucky to get 4000 a year but I talk myself into changing it. Filter gets done whenever the oil's done. In my world the filter gets done at the first sign of bother. Oil's too expensive.

In recent maintenance we saved 400 grand in two years in one vessel by changing the diesels. Pays for the new kit and we're in credit now. :)