The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Removing decals

The Raven

If they are vinyl decals they should peel off with some heat from a hairdryer, usual rules apply, take it slow and careful :) If they've only been on a year or two you might be okay with the paint, but a light cut and polish should clean it up well enough. If they've been on a long time the paint could have faded unevenly in which case a machine polish may be needed.

They are normally only be problematic if they are very old or glue has been used (Had a nightmare, well still have, with some of these on my car)

Mine broke my heart taking them off, it was a tedious tedious job!

As above, a hairdryer and a lot of patience, take it easy when peeling and try to peel the vinyl back across itself rather than pulling it 'up' to get it off. Alternatively if you happen to have a mate with a body shop, the booth with the heat on will really make it a much easier job. As Liam said, some tar and glue remover afterwards should get rid of the residue, but it might take a couple of normal washes to get it all off. Is it the full castrol livery? White with castrol graphics can look awesome imo.

My mate has a bodyshop, and after he has peeled them off he uses a buffer wheel thingy in an air drill, I have no idea what it is made of but it looks like a Caramac bar colour and it even smells like one, so either its made out of Caramac or Caramac bars have the same stuff as this wheel in them ? But, it takes off the glue and any remnants of sticker in seconds and leaves no residue at all and can just be polished straight away.

this is what i use to remove grafix

hair dryer/heat gun

plastic scraper just to lift an edge

lots of patience at this point

glue /tar remover after they are off

now depending on how long they have been on the paint underneath will have been protected from the elements so will appear slightly different to the rest so a good machine polish normally sorts it out finishing off with a good wax and sealent

Peter, maybe I can pick your brain on a related topic... :D

There are some very old stickers on the doors of my car which I'm having major problems removing. The Vinyl ones came off fine, but two are the type that are not meant for painted surfaces, They have a very hard outer layer and strong glue on the inner. The outer layer is cracked like a mosaic into chunks 1-2mm square and I cannot peel these off. Tried many methods suggested by folks on here without success, but have not tried a heat gun.

Is the heat gun you mention the same sort of thing used for stripping gloss paint? I have one of those, but for obvious reasons didn't want to try it on the car without checking with someone first.

Tried many methods suggested by folks on here without success.

One wasn't autoglym intensive tar remover was it?

Agree with all the suggestions above, also an old credit card to help you get started i.e. catching an edge.

Remember doing this on my old 928, the tyre tread decal went right over the car and each black bit was a separate decal :taped: