The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Active spoiler power question

AndyT

Just a quick one people.

Am I right assuming that the active spoiler is powered down and whilst down is always drawing power?

Reason I ask is because I left it down whilst cleaning the car (4 hours :blink:) and the battery was dead when I went to start her.

I just need to know if I have a fault there that needs looking into.

Cheers in advance good people.

Andy:)

That should read power in the title. Apologies.

No, its controlled by a relay, so once its in the down position the power is turned off, then when retracted it does the same thing.

I don't know what you're problem is though, but sounds like water ingress somewhere in the electrics.

Andrew is correct :)

Thanks guys.

I know the only thing different was me keeping the spoiler down. Therefore it must be a problem with the electrics to the spoiler.

Many thanks foloks.

Andy

Sorry.

Guys and girls.

The only thing working with the ignition on is the alarm. That's basically dead because ignition is on. Nothing should have been able to drain the battery like that.:)

Edited by AndyT (see edit history)

I assume your car came from the factory with the spoiler? if so, no, you will have the spoiler ECU, which is much more complicated than just relays, my guess is that its nothing to do with the spoiler.

Is your battery in tip top condition?

What else did you do while cleaning the car, did you have doors and boot open for this time? maybe the interior lights drained the battery?

I assume your car came from the factory with the spoiler? if so, no, you will have the spoiler ECU, which is much more complicated than just relays, my guess is that its nothing to do with the spoiler.

Is your battery in tip top condition?

What else did you do while cleaning the car, did you have doors and boot open for this time? maybe the interior lights drained the battery?

Doors were closed bud.

Interior lights are always off.

Ignition was on to the 2nd to last click.

The absolute only different situation was the spoiler being down. I am 99.9% positive that caused the drain.

The car turned over and ran 1st click 4 hours before. I would not say the battery was in tip top condition. It needed a run certainly but thefact everything ran perfectly 4 hours before leads me to the spoiler. :)

hmmmm, curious, then I'm at a loss, like you say, there must be a fault somewhere :(

Stereo defo off? not on but turned right down? sorry about stating the obvious, but you never know :)

hmmmm, curious, then I'm at a loss, like you say, there must be a fault somewhere :(

Stereo defo off? not on but turned right down? sorry about stating the obvious, but you never know :)

Remembered that at about 20 mins in mate. Actually about 30 mins. :)

It's not going to cause me a problem. I think. I never remember the fact that I can manually put the spoiler down anyway. But now I know, I'll want it fixed. :(

:hi:. I tried that with the engine running. ...I think i,ll try pushing the "Spoiler Down" button with the Ignition ON but the Engine NOT Running next time :)

Turn the car off, put the ignition onto '2', hit the down button and there you go :) It'll retrack as soon as you start the car. It's possible to overide this and have it down all the time, but it's not recommended if you park front on to any curbs!

Turn the car off, put the ignition onto '2', hit the down button and there you go :) It'll retrack as soon as you start the car. It's possible to overide this and have it down all the time, but it's not recommended if you park front on to any curbs!

Didn't know that....:)

you will also be able to see the 5 pin plug, disconnect it, and make sure that pins 1 and 2 are not recieving any power

that will tell you if there is a problem, but I really wouldn't know where to go from there to rectify it, its probably going to be something inside the spoiler ECU thats gone kablowy :(

Didn't know that....:)

If you want to have total control over your front spoiler, look no further, than Garfy. He's your man. If he can't sort it, no one can! :)

I would take the drivers side headlight out, then you will be able to see the spoiler motor, if its getting constant power it will get hot, check that first ;)

Ah ha. Cheers bud. Got to get the hids in soon and I'll check that at the same time.

Many thanks mate. :)

Andy

Ah ha. Cheers bud. Got to get the hids in soon and I'll check that at the same time.

Many thanks mate. :)

Andy

If you get the car to me I'd be happy to look over it for you

Turn the car off, put the ignition onto '2', hit the down button and there you go :) It'll retract as soon as you start the car. It's possible to overide this and have it down all the time, but it's not recommended if you park front on to any curbs!

:) Thanks Homer :) ....font of knowledge