The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Oversized tyre, affect on top speed

jevansio

I was looking into what size tyres I need for some 18" rims today, and was working out the stock rolling radius compared to what I have on at the minute.

I run 295/30/19's on the back (purely because it's the only R888 size available), and when I worked out I got the rolling radius was 3.75% bigger than stock.

What sort of effect does this have on acceleration when pulling speeds of say 180mph?

Id say our cars have similar power and mine pulls them speeds no problem with the same size tyre.

It did pretty well at Suprapod aswell so id say it wont be detrimental to acceleration either.

Cheers bud, I figured I'd try & get closer when I pick my 18" tyres, 275/35/18 seems to be the best I can find, hoping the 18's will improve my launch :D

My new 18's will be here soon and im going with 285/30/18 rear and 255/35/18 front Toyo R888's.

I was tossing up between the 275/35 & 285/30, I figured I'd go with the extra side wall, let me know what you think of them, I still have to bolt 4 wheels together before I can think about getting tyres :D