The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help starting problems

nad300

Hi guys, wondering if anyone can help diagnose problem with my tt manual, have searched forum but getting mix answers

car starts fine from cold & will idle perfectly no cutting out etc, however if i turn car off say after a few mins of it idling or short drive it will struggle to restart straight away

i have to wait atleast 10/15mins for it to start up again turns over fine everytime, battery is fully charged, starter motor is good as well

all help appreciated[COOL][/COOL]

Can you elaborate on 'struggles to start'? When trying to dire it up is the engine turning over okay and at the same speed as when cold? Can you hear it trying to fire, i.e. a splutter or cough from the exhaust?

There could be a few possible causes to this dependant on the symptoms.

Mmm my calibra did this could be related it was the fueling it thought it was still cold even if you out on the road 30mins so when you started it up again it was dumping more fuel in for a cold start so one senser saying it was cold engine the other say HOT ecu got all confused car struggled to start find which senser was doing it bobs your uncle car started ok

Can you elaborate on 'struggles to start'? When trying to dire it up is the engine turning over okay and at the same speed as when cold? Can you hear it trying to fire, i.e. a splutter or cough from the exhaust?

There could be a few possible causes to this dependant on the symptoms.

engine turns over fine, no spluttering/coughing from exhaust

turns over at same speed as when cold

could a clogged fuel filter cause this problem ?

It could be a fuel or ignition issue based on that. If the fuel filter was clogged it would ran badly all the time so that is not so likely a cause

Do you have an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator?

not sure about the fpr will check that.

how about the igniter pack or may be the fuel pump is on its way out ? even though i can hear pump prime

Hi,

The most likely cause for this is a temp sensor issues.

Has a diagnostic been done??

James

Hi, are you refering to the ecu temp sensor ?

where exactly is this located ?

i tryed bridging the diag port, but no warning lights were flashing

apart from the orange traction control light

is this the correct light that should be flashing to indicate any codes ?

The sensors most likely to cause this issue will be water temp sensor and air temp sensor, a quick search will help you with the diagnostic check.

With this issue there is no garuntee to get a code with the check as the sensor may just be reading incorrect rather than completely duff, In which case they will need checking for resitance values at different temperatures.

James

Edited by JDModified (see edit history)

The sensors most likely to cause this issue will water temp sensor and air temp sensor, a quick search will help you with the diagnostic check.

With this issue there is no garuntee to get a code with the check as the sensor may just be reading incorrect rather than completely duff, In which case they will need checking for resitance values at different temperatures.

James

ok thanks, will check both sensors.