The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Radiator age

SupraTRD83

Caveat emptor.

The garage offered a 4 week warranty, that has passed. They may offer to pay for all/some of the cost out of goodwill, but they certainly don't have to. Sale of goods or trade descriptions act don't come into it I'm afraid.

Wasn't aware of the 4 week warranty

Buy the radiator off CW anyway meantime

Caveat emptor.

The garage offered a 4 week warranty, that has passed. They may offer to pay for all/some of the cost out of goodwill, but they certainly don't have to. Sale of goods or trade descriptions act don't come into it I'm afraid.

but rung them and there is a part saying if the car isn't of satisfactory standard or has a fault that was there I can claim and the breaks, starter motor, where defonatly there about 3 days after purchasing and the radiator ive been told doesnt just go its been like that for a while so surely there is a claim. im getting onto card company anyway see what they say cant do any harm

Caveat emptor.

I wish people would stop banding that quote around....its not a defence to a breach of contract. I spend 5 days a week sueing people like 2nd hand car dealers who misrepresent or sell faulty goods.

Sales of Goods Act the seller has a duty to provide a product fit for purpose. If the radiator is knackered then there is a potential breach. Problem is proving it, that you haven't knackered it etc. Usually we require expert evidence.

Sale of goods or trade descriptions act don't come into it I'm afraid.

The Limitation Act (6 years for contract) would disagree.

Edited by marbleapple (see edit history)

I wish people would stop banding that quote around....its not a defence to a breach of contract. I spend 5 days a week sueing people like 2nd hand car dealers who misrepresent or sell faulty goods.

Sales of Goods Act the seller has a duty to provide a product fit for purpose. If the radiator is knackered then there is a potential breach. Problem is proving it.

The Limitation Act (6 years for contract) would disagree.

thankyou thats what ive been saying mate, and what about the faulty brakes and start switch 3 days after the purchase that weren't apparently covered?

Must be fit for purpose at the time of the sale. If they are not then they have a potential problem.

Theres no way the brakes and started could go within 3 days either, there trying to pull a fast one, been to 2 of there garages only to be told 4 hours later (without a car) that they dont work on them sort of cars

So why did you not get the brakes and starter sorted out on day 4?

I took it to there garage to get fixed, they had it for 4 hours on a saturday then rang me to say they couldnt work on high performance cars, rang garage up where i bought car to tell them, there shut for the day and not open sundays.

rung monday, got told another garage they have can do it. took it there they cant work on high performance, im at work all week so that is 2 weekends gone trying to find somewhere to do this. monday comes i tell them (where i got car) that im finding my own garage and they can pay (they say they wont pay if i go through a garage they dont no), i book it in at my own garage and pay around £80 out my own back pocket for oil top up, wheel alignment and a engine management check. all done, so the garage turn round and say (the one i found) that i need brakes flushing out etc and need startor motor fixing, i asked them to look at why its overheating but cant fit me in till middle of week, i cant go cos im at work AGAIN so i plan to take it up at the weekend, ring garage where i bought car and again they dont cover brakes etc (which i gathered because its wear and tear) and by this point 4 weekends have passed endless garages and im out around £100. get car booked in for this weekend, to late leak gets worse an rad goes. now its been towed away and at a garage and the one i bought car from wont pay a penny

I wish people would stop banding that quote around....its not a defence to a breach of contract.

What breach of contract?

The dealer gave a 4 week warranty in this case, it sounds like the problems were only discovered/reported after that period.

There may have been issues with brakes etc. in that 4 week period, but if they weren't reported then what is the dealer to do about it? Are you saying that if they're reported a week after the warranty period expires they should still resolve the issues? What about 2 weeks after? 2 months? 2 years?

edit: after reading the above post it seems TRD did report issues with the car within the warranty period, but the car should have been returned to where it was bought from to resolve the issues, not messed about saying you're taking it to a garage of your choice. I'm sorry, but how is the seller to know that you're not trying to pull a fast one? Should have returned the car and left it with them.

Edited by Thorin (see edit history)

What breach of contract?

The dealer gave a 4 week warranty in this case, it sounds like the problems were only discovered/reported after that period.

marbleapple knows much more about it than I do, but here's my understanding of it: if the law thinks that a used car should last longer than 4 weeks after purchase without major faults, then there is a case to answer. The length of the dealer's warranty is largely irrelevent. It's like me putting a sticker on my car saying that I might go over 70mph occasionally. I can say what I like, but if the law disagrees, then I'm in trouble. :)

What I don't know is how long the law thinks a used car that's 15 years old should last for without major faults manifesting. I don't have a clue.

this car sounds a right lemon and the dealer knew it. i'd be tempted to reject the car and demand a full refund.

in future you should take a mechanic friend to check over any cars you want to buy or pay for an independant inspection of the car - save you time and money in the long run.

What I don't know is how long the law thinks a used car that's 15 years old should last for without major faults manifesting. I don't have a clue.

"The Law" would have no concept of how long a second hand car should last. Something major could go bang as soon as it's driven off the forecourt.

"The Law" would have no concept of how long a second hand car should last. Something major could go bang as soon as it's driven off the forecourt.

thats right but this car seems to have faults (and very many faults) that would have been apparant to the garage selling it and that is a very different situation.

thats right but this car seems to have faults (and very many faults) that would have been apparant to the garage selling it and that is a very different situation.

...and if you can prove that they knew about these faults yet failed to disclose them then yes that is a very different situation. Good luck with that.

...and if you can prove that they knew about these faults yet failed to disclose them then yes that is a very different situation. Good luck with that.

yeah you would need an expert to have looked at the car and support the assertion. in car cases time is vital and this is why the moment a problem showed up it should have been independantly checked out.