The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Running without intercooler

Scott

I know the car will run like crap but is it safe enough to run the car without any intercooler pipes? I want to take the pipes off of the car to get them polished up but the car will be going into the bodyshop. Is it safe enough to crawl up there with a couple of pairs of tights secured over the turbo inlet and manifold inlet? Bodyshop is less than a mile away.

Is it safe enough to crawl up there with a couple of pairs of tights secured over the turbo inlet and manifold inlet?

I would not do that dude one of my brothers mates did this on his older BMW (put it over the throttle body inlet) and the tights got sucked into the engine! apparantly they were fastened tightly also.

Ended up involving an engine strip down to take the burnt bits of tights out of the cyclinders and to untangle the tights from the valves etc.

Edited by ManwithSupra (see edit history)

I know the car will run like crap but is it safe enough to run the car without any intercooler pipes? I want to take the pipes off of the car to get them polished up but the car will be going into the bodyshop. Is it safe enough to crawl up there with a couple of pairs of tights secured over the turbo inlet and manifold inlet? Bodyshop is less than a mile away.

Just get a tow if it's not to far away?! :search:

I probably won't even drive there with the pipes off. I'll most likely take them off when i get there. The only time the car will be fired up would be to move it in and out of the shop.

I reckon i'll give the tights a miss though given the horror story. Running unfiltered for such a miniscule amount of time, in a relatively clean paint shop, should be harmless i would think.

Thanks folks, i'll be very careful lol.

i have a uk turbo sup and was coming back from a holiday when my intercooler pipe cam off alowing the boost to escape, the car would not run at all and when it was trying to run it was pure fuel coming out the exhaust.

I think that's because of the UKs having MAF sensors not MAP sensors (or is it the other way round...?). Mine wouldn't idle when I blew an intercooler hose on the motorway once.

Well thats going to end in tears. Why risk an expensive engine for some polishing?

Just get the bits off one night, get them polished the next day, and back on that night.

Well thats going to end in tears. Why risk an expensive engine for some polishing?

Just get the bits off one night, get them polished the next day, and back on that night.

I don't really see the risk to be honest. If i was going to be driving around then yeah it would be dodgy but i think i'll be ok.

I doubt i could get all my intercooler pipes polished in a day anyway lol. You fancy taking the job on? ;)

LOL

There is a guy called The Polisher. Who surprisingly will polish them up. Based in Glasgow i think. Best to google it. He does amazing wheel refurb as well.

Hmm might have a look. Trouble is the pipes are painted blue. I'm going to take them in and give them a good blasting then i'll take it from there.

Thanks