The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Power steering issue

SupraGirlie

Hope someone can help!

The car makes a loud, whining noise on idle, even more so when turning the wheel.

I took the p/s cap off and turned on the engine and the fluid was bubbling out occasionally. I have checked the in/out pipes and they seem ok with no visible signs of wear.

Is there anything else I can check? I'll be bleeding the system and replacing the fluid tonight but I'm worried that the damage may already be done and I'll need a new pump.

Thanks for the help

Guest dangerousandy
Get searching for one now then, I got told they were extremely rare by QSD just now :( Loads of N/A pumps about though!

Hmmm, I'll have to bite the bullet and speak nicely to Mr Toyota for a new one when it finally packs up :(

Have you checked the level? There is a two marks on the dipstick saying hot on one side cold on the other.my fluid was down just a fraction and it was making funny noises i topped it up and it went away. By the noises it was making you would think the system was empty, Thought it was something serious but it wasnt

How did you get on with this??

I had the same issue had low fluid but then found a leak out the side of the gaitor and was told the seals in the rack had gone so had to replace the rack!!!:(

But it solved my problem and feels so much smoother now!!:)

Oh!! That's not good, I thought worst case would be the pump :( I will bleed the system tomorrow, see if that does anything, I doubt it though. The car is going in to AFR for a full service on monday anyway. I've also sourced a pump ready to go on if needed.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you know if it will fit an N/A? Part of the PS system is leaking but can't see where from! How much did you have in mind?

No it won't fit an N/A they are different.

I might need to buy a TT psp, how much you want for it?

I would like back what I paid for it really, which was £76.

Well not 100% sure if mine is up for sale now, the burst steering rack has apparently put strain on the pump that's on there now, so I might need to use the new ps pump after all as well as a new rack :(

Yes, put the new pump on. Running them for extended periods with no fluid going through them is a bad idea.