The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Just Curious...

Fitz

Hey Guys/Girls :),

I'll try to keep this short, currently my Supra is sitting on lowered suspension (done by previous owner). I'm looking at getting some new wheels as mine are rather 'dissapointing'.

Not so long ago I tried to put some 18" wheels on my car (from a friend's Supra) but alas, due to the suspension the tyre would hit against the wheel arc when the weight shifted.

So, currently I have the 'dissapointing' 17" wheels on my car but... here is where I would like some advice. Do I...

1) Buy a new set of 17" wheels and do the suspension at a later date?

2) Buy a new set of suspension to raise the car then put on my friends old 18's. Then, save up for some newer wheels

Or,

3) Bide my time and do to whole lot together (i.e. New suspension and 18" wheels at the same time?) :sly:

What could you guys recommend?

Cheers,

Cliff

How low is it? What suspension do you have?

You may find that choosing wheels with the right offset and tyres could help solve the problem but if it's ultra low you're pretty limited and should probably address this before worrying about wheels.

They're Called 'Kyb'...well thats what they say on them. They were put on in Japan (where speed bumps are a myth). I did have a previous thread before which kind of links to this.

Should be some pics of the front. Back seems fine.

Edited by Fitz (see edit history)

I agree with Michael.

Check your suspension 1st. If you have stock/Bilstien dampers with lowering springs try and identify the springs. If they are Eibach they drop the car approx 35mm. If so maybe try Tein as they lower approx 25mm. Either way if you do have lowering springs going back to stock would help prevent the rubbing.

Edit: Just read your reply and link no worky. KYB? Are they not ride height adjustable dampers? If not still check the sprigs.

They're Called 'Kyb'...well thats what they say on them. They were put on in Japan (where speed bumps are a myth). I did have a previous thread before which kind of links to this.

Should be some pics of the front. Back seems fine.

KYB do a few variants (I have their AGX shockers on mine) but it could be the springs that are the problem, too low, not stiff enough or just generally poo.

Someone in your local area might have a set of stock springs you could borrow for testing - an hours labour should see them on the car and then you can formulate a plan from there while riding high like Colt Seavers :)

Would be a proud moment :)

Black KYB shocks were the cheaper stock shocks on the Supra (I believe, anyway - one of mine has them). It might just be aftermarket or cut springs on there, I'd investigate putting some stock ones on and then a geo setup.