The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Help!

Stonkin

Guys, the car is currently stranded somewhere far from ideal. I was having the dreaded ‘clicking’ problem so last night I had the starter motor refurbished. The old contacts literally fell out in several pieces, so it definetly needed doing. Once replaced, the car would not start, the guy measured the battery with a multmeter and it was about 12v across which he though was a bit low for a new battery, lights and everything were also dim so he put a ‘booster pack’ on it for about 2 or 3 mins and could see it was charging up. It then started fine and left it for a few mins running, switched it off and tried starting and it wouldn’t start, wouldn’t even turn over, just clicked.. So he put the booster pack back on and got it started and I took it for a drive down the motorway about 10 miles. Went to a friends house for about 20 mins then tried to come home.

The car unlocked fine via the remote, tried to start and it just clicked and the alarm led was just flashing franticly. I left it a minute and had to re-disarm immobiliser, when I pressed the button the led again just flashed like mad and the car made a weird clicking noise (key wasn’t even in ignition at this point)

I know electrical faults are virtually impossible to help with like this, but does anyone have any ideas. Im sure some electrical power is being drained somehow, possibly the alarm. Are these easy to disconnect? Could there be a dodgy earth somewhere, if so, where are the main earth points on the car so I can check?

Also, in a desperate need to recover the car and get it home safe, can it be jumpstarted as the mechanic is in hospital today with his wife, so no booster pack I can use. I know jump started is not recommended with these cars, but why? Not sure if risking a jump start is worse than leaving it where it currently is?

Thanks

Christian

Yes it is an auto, by jump start, i meant with jump leads, not pushing, can that also not be done with an auto?

The journey i did once it was running was a good 20 mins. I stopped at a petrol station for fuel, and it restarted, then drove it another 2 miles to a friends house, where it got stuck after leaving it 20/30 mins

Yes it is an auto, by jump start, i meant with jump leads, not pushing, can that also not be done with an auto?

The journey i did once it was running was a good 20 mins. I stopped at a petrol station for fuel, and it restarted, then drove it another 2 miles to a friends house, where it got stuck after leaving it 20/30 mins

Ah yes jump start is ok, i was thinking of bump start (its too early) which you cant do with an auto.

Have you checked the connections on the battery?

sometimes if they are not tight enough it may have the same symptoms

other than that all i can suggest is you check all wires and get a multimeter on everything and try and find the problem

Thanks guys. If jump starting with leads is ok i will do that as im very worried about leaving the car there too long. Once its home i can do some investigating.

Battery connections are solid. Where are the earth straps on these cars, wondering if there is a dodgy earth draining something, the car can only ever be left for a week max or the battery is flat. Which doesnt sound right. And ive had 2 new batteries

Must have just read every flat battery/alarm thread, christ theres a lot.

Not quite convinced the alarm isnt causing an issue. There is also a stereo in the car that is dead, always has been. This needs to be ripped out and replaced therefore, but if it is dead (for reasons i dont know) could it be causing a drain?

Sorry M45sey, but what is a drop test? Have arranged a set of jump leads and car for later to at least try and get it home. If its still there :(

Its just a volts and amp test on the battery to test how much power the battery has got and shows how much the alternator is pumping out.

And will also show if the battery is holding its charge,

Its a good way to see any problems like a fcuked battery or alternator or if there is a drain

Through reading threads, it seems you shouldn’t put the –ve from the donor car to the –ve on the duff car when jump starting, but to use an engine lifting hook on top of the engine. Where abouts is this please?

Might be looking into this too much, just want to make sure its as safe as possible to not damage anything else.

No problem mate. You can borrow my Supra if you like, just give it back to me highly polished :D

:D Shall i lend you the silver 5 series ;)

Last night was the first time id driven it in about 5 weeks, thought all was fixed when i saw the state of the starter contacts. Hate electrical problems!!

:D Shall i lend you the silver 5 series ;)

That's very good of you. See, you can't do enough for a customer who's not paying :D

Last night was the first time id driven it in about 5 weeks, thought all was fixed when i saw the state of the starter contacts. Hate electrical problems!!

I know what you mean, hate electrics too. Lucky I know TrickTT, he's got a HNC in electronics :)