The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why can't i split my lights

pjavon

Hi

Trying to split my J-spec headlights for a bit of a clean up but can't seem to get them apart. Have had them in the oven for about 5mins and are quite hot to the touch but they still seem stuck, the plastic back seems to have started to distort before the glue/bonding is melting.

I am trying to seperate at the right place aren't i

Any help please

IMG_2503.JPG

IMG_2504.JPG

IMG_2505.JPG

mine took about 20 mins each to slowly pry apart. i used two long neck flat head screwdrivers to prize them slowly, bit by bit. it took more force than I was expecting to use on something as fragile as a light, but hey came apart fine once i was 3/4 round them.

Just make sure the area your seperating is hot and take your time.

:)

They need to be pretty hot, even to the point of being almost too hot to handle with bare hands. I've done 3 sets now and about 10-12 minutes at 150 degrees is needed (pre-heated of course). Just make sure the edges are not touching anything or in a hot spot. Check every few minutes to make sure there are no signs of clouding on the lens.

Looking at your pics, you're on the right track, but they've just not been heated enough to soften the sealer enough

get a screwdriver and kitchen knife in there and pull them apart! :D

Yep, a large flathead screwdriver does the job nicely to pry them apart :)