The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Number plate sizing

CarlT67

I have noticed on many peoples cars that many people run a small rectangular front plate. I would also like to do this as I am currently running a larger std sized plate and not a great deal of cooling air can reach behind, plus it looks crap.

I just want to know what the legalities are of running these smaller plates. I remember before reading something about Imports can get away with it due to having smaller plate holders, but an after market bumper like my do-luck has no plate holder so any size can be fitted.

Also where are these bought...?

I've got a large number plate on a small bracket due to it being an import.

Checked into this and the number plate can be as small as the bracket but not smaller, if that's helpful in any way.

So if I make a small bracket then I am ok...? I can imagine the conversation with the police if I were pulled over it. :innocent:

http://www.craigsplates.com/

Just got my legal set here. They changed the law whilst I was away :rolleyes: Basically click "legal plates" and you can pick any of a wide range of sizes.

Scan your docs to them first. Brilliant service fully backed up with confirmation emails and next day delivery, fiver extra.

You may be able to tell that I'm well chuffed. :D

So if I make a small bracket then I am ok...? I can imagine the conversation with the police if I were pulled over it. :innocent:

Just clip the corners from the standard bracket. The bits that curl over at each corner to produce the shape where the import size rectangle sits. The front plate I ordered is not much wider than the bracket. :)

Edit 380 x 90 mm or 380 x 85 mm for a seven character front. 330 x 171 rear. HTH

Edited by AndyT (see edit history)

Been lots about this on here... "search" is your friend :)

As I understand it, the bit about imports being allowed to have smaller size plates is fine in theory, but doesn't get you through the MOT and I would guess wouldn't convince plod.

The wording is very scetchy.

We run an "import" size plate and will do until Soo gets pulled (as she will want it off straight away) but we also have what I belive is a smallish legal plate as our reg is only five digits and it's got the minimum spacing around it.

See http://www.craigsplates.com

Cheers

G

Reading through craigsplates, I am finding it hard to picture the sizes explained. I have found a couple of examples in pictures I have taken at meets (hope the people whos cars these are dont mind me using them, I have removed the letters/numbers)

I was looking at something sized like below, are these legal looking sizes...?

These look a bit shorter than the smallest 380mm long legal plate on cragsplates, or is it just my eyes :blink:

Take it thats a 'show plate' then, where do you get these...? (ignore)

EDIT- didn't see your post AndyT, so if I buy a 380mm then it will be what is pictured, and will be legal...?

Yep. I was quoted on phone and in email that plates would be legal.

Order the pair mate. You need the suppliers RNPS no. on both plates also the BSAU no. and now, probably, the "Import" before the BSAU no.

Sorry for being anal folks but I have reliable info that the police are targetting this and fines etc are nothing we want. :)

as i remember,dvla states-with so many grey imports arriving,pepole are having problems with uk plates,so they are allowing smaller plates that fit the small bracket/indent on imports' with motor cycle charactors[i guess 64mm lettering] and i belive from top & bottom of letters&no ..8mm to edge of plate[which on a rectangled plate would mean 80mm wide[min].length would depend on how many digits in redg & the correct spacing.or go for square plate with 64mm lettering. also they state no borders/ghosting /writing[other than redgistration].i'll no doubt be corrected.