The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Porterfield Fast Road Pads

SkyJawa

Don't get me wrong, cracking brakes and work very well, more than happy with that aspect.

But the dust :eek: They are an utter pain in the ass. If you don't clean your wheels about every 3 days your fecked. I'm having to use Wonder Wheels every week, and it still doesn't shift the deposits these pads leave behind, an utter nightmare.

Anyone else found this?

Are there any pads with similar performance that are not as bad in this aspect? Are CW's less dusty? (just so I know for next time round!)

Cheers

OK, I used to use Porterfield pads, in various compounds, and applications, myself. They are good and work well. Downside is, IMO, they are very dirty and some of the dirt deposits seem to be irridescent iron articles (sparks) that fuse intom the wheel finish. I also found them cruel to discs. I assumed they have a high iron content, hence the dust and high disc wear rate. Fine on a track car where appearance is secondary to anything else. Hence I now sell a carbon / kevlar based fast road pad that makes no more dust or noise than a stock OE pad, but hangs on to a higher temp and has more bite. My "race type" pads do however make a fair amounyt of dust, but that's the the nature of these beasts.

Not knocking Porterfield stuff, but your experiencees match mine.

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

OK, I used to use Porterfield pads, in various compounds, and applications, myself. They are good and work well. Downside is, IMO, they are very dirty and some of the dirt deposits seem to be irridescent iron articles (sparks) that fuse intom the wheel finish. I also found them cruel to discs. I assumed they have a high iron content, hence the dust and high disc wear rate. Fine on a track car where appearance is secondary to anything else. Hence I now sell a carbon / kevlar based fast road pad that makes no more dust or noise than a stock OE pad, but hangs on to a higher temp and has more bite. My "race type" pads do however make a fair amounyt of dust, but that's the the nature of these beasts.

Not knocking Porterfield stuff, but your experiencees match mine.

Thanks for the reply Chris, that sounds exactly it, with the fusing into the wheel finish etc. I thought the DS2500 I had on my old Scoob were bad but these take the biscuit!! LOL!

Looks like I'll be having some of your fast road ones then when these Porterfield run out!

Cheers again.

Originally posted by baldy

i find ebc reds much better tbh

Had them on my Scoob, most dangerous brake pads I've ever used, didn't work at all, not from cold, not from hot, not at low speed, not at high speed, they were a joke :( Surprised they work well on the Supra, I've always thought of EBC as cheap rubbish, you get what you pay for etc.....

Maybe they've changed the pad material........