The mkiv Supra Owners Club

SteveL's (Garage Whifbitz) Supra race car build

Paul Whiffin

Hi chaps,

We have Steve Linton's Time Attack Supra in at the moment being honed for the coming season with some sensible mods to make the car that little bit quicker/reliable.

On the current list we have:

1. Oil cooling

2. Racepak IQ3 datalogging dash(same as what I've just bought), just turned up today.

3. Brake ducting in the front bumper feeding air to the front discs to aid cooling

4. Air filter ducting

5. Front tow eye

6. Alloy washer tank in the boot

7. Fuel swirl pot to avoid any fuel starvation round the bendy stuff

Thats it for this visit, more planned as and when. Need to remove some more weight, just waiting for some fibreglass doors to come through. Plus Steve wants a new exhaust soon as the Super Dragger is getting on a bit now.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Starting with the oil coolers, previously we had a 34 row in place but it was tucked away in the bumper with not a great deal of airflow going through it. So we decided to ditch the 34 row and fit 2x 25 row coolers in there place. Then cut the stock front bumper away to allow them to fit in front of the intercooler piping right in the airflow, should be the end of any oil cooling issues.

Setrab 25 row coolers

Darren with his favourite tool in hand making some extra room for the coolers to mount

New coolers in place, still got to do the pipework

Front bumper cut out to clear the coolers

Front bumper before

And after, now has holes cut out to let a bit more air into the intercooler/radiator area, just need some mesh on there to finish that part of it off. You can also see the oil coolers butting right up against the bumper now so the air will be going through them rather than round them.

Naca duct fitted to the side of the bumper to feed air to the air filter, come back to this one later when the ductings been fitted. Steve is also going to be making an airbox up.

Fuel swirl pot fitted under floor above the diff. Such a neat install like this, if you fit a pot in the boot it all needs to be boxed in to meet MSA/FIA regulations which is a right headache to do. This should insure the engine is receiving fuel all of the time, last thing you want is fuel starvation round corners, good bye engine. This is exactly what I’m doing on my car, used Steve’s car as a dummy run!

Edited by Paul Whiffin (see edit history)

What ECU has Steve got?

The twin oil coolers look smart - is the flow through them thermostatically controlled?

What's the oil capacity now? :D

He has an Apexi Power FC, full spec you see here http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=53&Itemid=57

The oil cooler take off sandwich plate has some form of thermostat yes, http://garagewhifbitz.co.uk/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=8374&category_id=2317&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53

Dont know oil capacity yet, we haven't rigged all the pipework up yet....

Are Steve & Ben still running the KAD brakes setup Paul? I love mine and I still have UK rears. How are you finding the new kit (I forget the details) that you fitted to yours?

Is this off topic? :taped:

There both running them still yep, both seem to like them. I used to like them to, just wanted the best money can buy (within reason!)for my car, haven't got the AP's yet though, just waiting for them to be made up.

There both running them still yep, both seem to like them. I used to like them to, just wanted the best money can buy (within reason!)for my car, haven't got the AP's yet though, just waiting for them to be made up.

... then we can see what differences there are in braking performance, as the Racepak's monitor lat/long G's.

Unfortunately it'll also show who's the brake pussy!

Some more updates for you.

Darren decided to sort out the dash wiring loom, a lot of it isn't needed anymore as the car has no ABS, stock clocks, heater, etc.

This is the loom as it comes out of the car

All the wires/connectors that aren't needed anymore

Nice new loom all taped up ready to go back in