The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel bearing

Benjy

Quick technical question...

How easy is it to replace the rear wheel bearings on a supe?

I'm a mechanic by trade and without ever having bothered to look at my own car (i'm a mechanic - the rules say mechanics cars never get looked at until they're broke!) I'm not sure how much of a pig it's going to be to replace. Is it a complete stick the hub in a press jobby after a pretty major strip down of the rear suspension?

I had a noise on my drivers side rear that I thought had come from the drive shaft outer CV joint.

On low speed runs there was no noise but if I exceeded the limit for a few miles there it was.

When off the car the CV joint felt a bit rough so I replaced it with a second hand unit from Jez.

The noise dissapeared but I was concerned that the grease in the bearings may have been cooked in the hub.

Now a month or so later the noise is back so I am guessing the wheel bearings may have been the real source of the noise after all.

As the supe is my only taxed car I am thinking that I could get a second hand hub assy, do swap them on the car and then examine my hub for damage and repair and replace as required.

Sounds like I may have a lot of work on my hands. Any advice appreciated.