The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Supe Is Slowly Die'ing

SupraTRD83

can i be a pain and ask a few questions :)

ill list a few problems im having with the car and hopefully you might be able to give me an idea of the problems as every garage is confused. :(

1. when starting the car on occasions it will just click and theres nothing, sometimes takes around 4 times to get the car to start but when it does it just starts perfectly no struglling. not sure if it may be immobiliser trouble or sticky starter switch?

2. when i remove the handbrake sometimes the red triangle in the dash doesnt go off. once i start driving it goes off but then if i hit above 4000rpm it comes back on? someone said maybe brake fluid but thats at the maximum level?

3. the brakes on the car seem to take a while to work properly, for the first minute or so of a journey they will need to be fully pressed down to make sure the car stops, not sur if its the brakes or the fact that the engines cold and the revs are a bit higher than normal so it takes longer to stop?

:Pling:

1. You need to re-do the starter motor contacts. Quite easy to do, a refurb kit can be bought from Toyota.

2. The red triangle is storing a fault code. It isn't just for the parking brake, the parking brake light is for that.

3. You probably want your brakes bleeding. I assume your running stock JSpecs?

Im only in Derby if you want any help. Done those a fair few times :D

Agree with the above. had problem 1. with my supra last year, turned out to be the starter motor, had it refurbed and now right as rain!!

Yup, get your brakes bled and fresh fluid, also check there's no leak from your brake lines as this could be causing a drop in pressure as well as a loss of fluid. (could even be the reason your warning light is coming on) As for the warning light, there's a thread on how to check your diagnostic codes - search under 'diagnostic' and it will probably bring it up.

Good luck and don't be disheartened ;)

Linda

1. Can't tell you what it is, but it doesn't sound like an immobilizer. That usually just kills all power. Does your headlights come on when you turn to key to "on"? With an immobilizer activated, they shouldn't

2. I had the same thing in my old MKIII. At that time it was someting on the e-brake that needed tightening. Sorry I can't be more specific but at that time, Toyota handled everything for me.

3. Are your car an automatic? Sounds like it. Know the feeling also from my MKIII. But fully pressed down is not right. You should not need to press more than 30% down for a normal braking. Maybe a max of 50% to come to a complete stop. How does your brake fluid look?

:) I don't think your car's dying! Luka-P is spot on with his analysis.

(1) is a common problem. Once you've had the contacts refurbished (Toyota sell a kit specifically for this, about £15), you won't need to worry about it probably for another 10 years. Sound familiar? -> http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=70712

(2) read the error codes that have been stored in the ECU. Post them up here, and we'll take it from there. There are some common error codes which aren't too expensive to fix.

Lol if you want to mate I'm here to help. The starter motor is easy enough to do, just tricky to get to. Drop me a PM if you want to sort something out and we can double check those error codes. I'd reset them and check them again to see if it's a repeated problem.

Lol if you want to mate I'm here to help. The starter motor is easy enough to do, just tricky to get to. Drop me a PM if you want to sort something out and we can double check those error codes. I'd reset them and check them again to see if it's a repeated problem.

cheers mate, ill add u as a friend to keep u posted,

The 4000rpm thing sounds distinctly like your vehicle speed sensor. Anyway, first you must clear your stored error codes as they could go back who knows how long and report false problems. Then get the issue to appear and check the codes again.

The starter motor thing has been experienced and fixed before, have a search or take up Luka on his nice offer.

The brakes need flushing and bleeding properly and maybe the car shouldn't be driven on the public roads until they are sorted mmm? Kid running out in front of you etc etc

-Ian