The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Thinking out loud

alaing

Ok then this is just thinkin out loud... ive had a couple of ideas....

Idea 1.

Stand alone ecus are quite expensive for what they actually do. My idea would be to use a laptop (more than enough power here) with a kindof 'break out box' that all the sensors, inputs , outputs etc could plug into. This could then plug into usb then all you would need is a program to make sense of the signals and turn it into signals to make the engine run. You could then have infinite maps and have all the information you could wish for. Plus makes a great antitheft device because if you take your laptop out with you the car would never start the car. If you wanted to go small use a pda!

Idea 2

The problem with a turbo is lag. What if you could get rid of the lag?

This is how i see it working.. As your turbo reaches full boost the wastegate opens to limit the boost pressure. What if you could keep the wastgate shut and reroot the boost pressure you dont want into a storage tank, then after the throttle is shut and the compressor is not making boost anymore open a valve from the 'tank' to let high pressure air (like charged air) back into the intake air flow. When the turbo is spooled up let it take over and then the process starts over again (no lag!). This would be like an onboard nitrous system that you never had to fill. Obviously this system would need some serious engineering but might be doable?! :search:

Right dont think this is serious, its just some stupid thoughts!:p

I like your thinking

1st idea sounds great until you remember how often your PC has crashed for no apparent reason. Not a big problem if you are just typing an email but a different story if you are on the wrong side of the road passing a line of slow moving traffic Also every time you get back in your car you would have to wait for the PC to boot up before you could even start it.

2nd idea not do-able at all.

A 3 litre engine at 6,000 RPM is 100 revs per second so I would guess that is 3 litres x 100 = 300 litres of air per second required to feed it

You would probably want a holding tank of around 100 litres just to give you 0.3 seconds of boost

Intersting ideas to say the least.

I've heard many an idea of running a free running wheel attached to the turbo (like a pedal bike system) that runs off the fan belt to spool the turbo (similar to a supercharger) then when the turbo picks up boost the turbine would take over and then fan belt wouldn't turn it anymore (sort of like when you try to pedal a bike in 1st gear down a hill, your legs just spin)

Interesting idea, but that idea in itself (plus a few other people telling me) makes me want to see is I can Supercharge my N/A, interesting thought eh.....or is that like blasphemy here?