The mkiv Supra Owners Club

So..I erm..I'm...I mean my friend is looking for an NA.

RedM

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had this conversation with Rich about an hour ago as I am considering getting an N/A. N/A from a TT or even my SX will be a serious downgrade in power. If that will not bother you then it will be fine, however if like me you like to know the power is there on tap for when you need it then it will bug the sh1t out of you.

Like everything, make up your own mind and drive one.

I quite liked the one I had for a bit, it was nice to pootle around in and kept up with most 1.6 hatches while still looking quite nice.

See, that's what worries me. I know that modern hatchbacks and even some of the sportier diesels can trouble a TT on pretty much any road other than fast A roads or M-ways.

I'd hate to get overtaken by a Megane or a 320d.

Compared to most daily sh*tters a stock one is a comfortable and reasonably quick car to drive.

Not sure how it'll work out in the long run after you've been spoiled with a TT, I'm worried the excitement of being back in a supra will wear off very quickly once it gets used more often... I guess it goes back to something Dean said in his thread - just treat it as a comfy cruiser and not get involved in the point to point stuff and modding it. One thing for sure is they are darn reliable provided the base car is good.

Tell your friend that going for an N/A is so much better than just your middle of the road hatchback any day IMO. :)

There are some lovely ones about, and for most of the driving that I imagine you do, then it could suit you perfectly.

And if its got a decent auto box in it, then it'll be probably better than the TT you once had too ;)

im not sure whats goin on here, why is someone acting embarresd to own a quality beutifull car? yes it is in the tts shadown and its not as powerfull or fast , but they drive superbly and compard to anything els you can buy for that kind of price id say thers not mutch faster , at the the end of the day its still a 3ltr with over 200bhp so its far from slow.

My friend is thinking that, what with NAs being so cheap these days, he might as well buy one rather than driving around in an old shed.

What should my friend look out for on them and are they really as bad as people say?

Bear in mind that he has some experience of a TT.

nothing wrong with getting an N/A mate,mine used to be an N/A for just over a year then i done a TT Conversion, N/A's are pretty quick and a good start if going up the ladder with driving a rear wheel car, 3ltr, 220bhp not many cars in this country can touch it, but if you are looking for a proper super car killer, go for the TT.:D:d

Read this last night. I love my NA and although I have been considering a TT conversion I am still undecided if I actually need it. Our car only did 2k miles last year and that included a trip to Le Mans.....:blink:

I got back in her the other day and took her for a spin after she had been dead for a month or so. (battery dead and Insurance had lapsed). She drove like a dream and scared the sh!t out of me whilst travelling through some twisties...!!

At the end of the day they are a show stopping car, even though they are older than Noah now. As long as you don't fall into the modding trap and want to race every Scooby you see then they are a very enjoyable car to drive.

H.

My friend is thinking that, what with NAs being so cheap these days, he might as well buy one rather than driving around in an old shed.

What should my friend look out for on them and are they really as bad as people say?

Bear in mind that he has some experience of a TT.

Surely the only difference between an NA and a TT is that the TT is quicker? An NA is still a quick car, from what I've heard is reliable and they look, frankly, stunning - it is a Supra after all.

My daily driver is a SEAT Leon TDi with 150bhp, which I consider to be a quick car. It feels like it has more low-end torque than my TT and feels more responsive (although it probably doesn't/isn't, I expect the performance in the Supra so I notice it less) and is great fun to drive even though it does 0-60 in 8.6. It's not as fast as an NA but it feels fast enough for what I use it for.

If all you want the NA for is commuting/nipping round town/cruising on motorways then you get all the benefits of having an attractive, comfortable, powerful car without needing 'supercar' performance.

Having had experience of a TT, if your friend remembers the performance with longing every time he gets in a Supra then it's not a good idea to get one. If he/she has no preconceptions, it's a great idea.

Also, as Havard says, if your friend is likely (like me) to get addicted to the speed and will feel the draw of getting more power then it's probably not a good idea.

I hate this phrase, but...

At the end of the day *cringe*, if all you want is an attractive, quick, comfortable, fun-to-drive car without the need for excessive power then surely an NA is a great choice - especially for value for money.

Besides, every one talks about so-called 'hot-hatch' performance like it's a bad thing. It's not like that level of performance is low. Normal cars take around 12 seconds to get from 0 to 60. In the region of 6-7 seconds, whether you're in a Golf or a Supra, it's still bloody quick. Just that in a Supra you look damn good while you're doing it :)

I would have no problems driving around in an NA, personally.